Twisted's mid school RF of procrastination

twisted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So did a bit more on this at the weekend. First up, removed the old steering stem bearing races from the frame. The upper race was easy as there's enough of a lip in the race to get a punch on with no dramas. The bottom Race however is recessed, and a normal punch wont make contact with the lip. So after a bit of head scratching i came up with this:

20170626_212645_resized.thumb.jpg.f5246ff1d9bf6bb0e1180b9f54b2be42.jpg

The lip on the lower hex head seats perfectly against the lip on the lower race. Three smacks with a hammer and the race was out. Win.

Then I had a slight diversion and decided to polish up my seat mounts. I don't have a before photo of the long one, however it looked much like this:

Aliens.thumb.JPG.1c1c9a7d458714208387a2fa23511993.JPG

After a wet rub down with 800 grit, 1500 grit then 2000 grit, then some autosol:

20170701_210916_resized.thumb.jpg.a1dd6102b8bc11b5cdb82d45b850b0e5.jpg

Then i got the bike off the ground and dismantled the front end. No pics of that yet, but next up is a refresh of the top yolk, and a fork seal/oil replacement. I'll paint up the stanchions at the same time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So haven't had much time on this lately, as both boys have been sick, and works been flat out.

Have managed to make a start on the forks though. It seems that whoever had the forks apart last time over-torqued the allen bolts at the bottom of the fork leg that secure the damper. Net result was two stripped allen bolts. Fuck! My only move was to break out the drill. Hard to see here, but i managed to drill the head off the bolt without damaging anything else.

20170711_213904_resized.thumb.jpg.2f76f585ec8f41e6f5ad7a6ffbc42a9d.jpg

Then took the cap off, emptied the oil and pulled it all apart:

20170711_214001_resized.thumb.jpg.dc4ef33836e7e686f2225290ac01228d.jpg

I tend to never be able to achieve a tidy work area!

Also stripped the plastidip off the fork leg, and rubbed it own with 80 grit and a small flapper wheel on a drill for the bad bits. couple more rub downs and it should be ready for etch priming. Will get the other fork stripped maybe Thursday night, then hopefully prime and paint on the weekend. Though I'm still toying with powder for the fork legs and rearsets. will decide before the weekend!

Edit: If i paint, they'll be getting baked in the BBQ. Apparently its a good idea to bake them a couple of times first too, to sweat out any residual fork oil absorbed by the alloy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Need to get to coastal fastners to get a couple of 8x27mm allen bolts for the fork legs.

Threw some paint on, but had issues with the gun so not happy with the job. will rub down and repaint this weekend.

Also painted the top yolk last night. Will wait for it to cure a bit before polishing.

20170719_223819.jpg

Getting real close to reassembly of the front end. Then i can  start on the rear end.

I've made a little progress on this. New steering bearings are in, upper and lower triple trees fitted. Had a wtf moment when installing the top yolk...couldn't for the life of me get it orientated correctly... it took abould half an hour of head scratching to realise that the key had to be in, and steering lock turned off in order to fit it correctly. Do'h! Also polished up the top nut.

20170724_223416.jpg

20170724_223601.jpg

Got the Swing Arm and rear shock off:

20170724_223445.jpg
20170724_223503.jpg

One of the cotton reels snapped off in the crash, had a go at drilling it out while the swingarm was still on the bike, but very nearly fucked it up as you can see. Will have another go with the 'arm off the bike, but this time from the backside, at least for the pilot hole:

20170724_223541.jpg

Rear shock has rebound adjustment which i doidnt realise, so thats a bonus!

20170724_223458.jpg

Also started on the fairings. Welded up a few cracks, and welded a broken mounting tab back on. No pics of that process, because i'm crap at taking pics, however plenty more to do and take pics of. There's still alot of finishing work to do here, but its pretty close.

20170724_223615.jpg

Not too long to go before i can get the front and rear ands on the new frame. Then i'll start swapping over brakes and electrics.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pictureless update.

Was in a bit of a rush to get the front end together before we went away on holiday, and while i got it done, about half way through the trip i realised i did not put the retaining clips in on top of the fork seals. I'm not convinced i got the seals in correctly either, so will have to strip them again and have another go. Hopefully the current seals are salvageable, but i expect they wont be.

Two steps forward, two steps back.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, i've been flat out at home and at work this month with general life mayhem. Haven't had much time in the shed at all.

Did manage to get some paint on the swingarm though. so last night i thought i'd put the rear end back together - starting to look like a bike again!

20170829_212850.jpg

20170829_212858.jpg

20170829_212919.jpg

Hopefully sort the front end out this week sometime, then i can torque everything up and move on to the brakes and electrics.

• Like 3

Got the forks off tonight.

Looks like I was sent the wrong upper bushings.... they're too tall which is why the seals won't seat correctly. Does anyone have a gòod source for fork rebuild kits? Got these from wemoto, who are extortionate with their shipping.

20170906_210524.jpg

So disappointed with the forks,  I occupied myself with some bodywork on Friday night. Had a go at filling the indicator holes on the front fairing. 

Started with these cutouts which i holesawed out of broken fairing:

20170908_193945_resized.jpg

To fill these holes:

20170908_193953_resized.jpg

Ground them down to the correct size and shape on the bench grinder:

20170908_195211_resized.jpg

20170908_195540_resized.jpg

Took the paint off in prep for welding:

20170908_195812_resized.jpg

Stitched it in to the hole:

20170908_200211_resized.jpg

Let that cool over a beer and cig, then welded it in proper:

20170908_201153_resized.jpg

Plastic was pretty thin here:

20170908_201156_resized.jpg

Welded up the backside once that had cooled:

20170908_201700_resized.jpg

Built up the backside where i blew that hole through with a couple of bits of old fairing, and its as solid as a rock now. Didnt take any pics of that but.

Gave it a quick sand, and this is where we're at:

20170908_202255_resized.jpg

The other side:

20170908_201739_resized.jpg

will throw some filler at it and then it will be done.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 14:19, 00quattro00 said:

I havent had a good run with those pyramid parts. I just buy genuine seals now

we'll see. feel much better about them than the slinky glide set i bought.

been chipping away at this on and off, got the forks done finally, and have slowly been sorting body work. Also picked up an aliexpress screen for $25, they sent a double bubble which while i don't really like the look of them i think it should help with wind noise, as the stock profile screen directs airflow straight at my chin. i have however brought the fact they've send the wrong screen to their attention, so I'm hoping they'll send the correct screen so i can change it up if the double bubble doesn't help with wind noise

Thought i had the front end done, but took a look at the brakes, and decided i needed to refresh those. discs are past it (and the two from discs are different) and pads are nearly done.  Any recommendations for a source for discs and pads? who/what to avoid? id have no idea who manufacture good brakes for bikes and who manufactures shit.

pic for fred

20171018_193938_resized.thumb.jpg.1fec35b0865d3c140da3a49f86c6021e.jpg

• 6 months later...

Lerl. 6 months later...

No pics but: Motors in and its rolling. Have an agreement with the missus that i spend 3 nights a week in the shed so i can make some progress. Pretty keen to get this running in the next few weeks.

Because no pics heres a pic of some sharks

Shark-Cycles.jpg

yep some acting pedigree right there

• Like 1

grrrr i note some of my pics are gone. will fix that up at some point.

Anyway. as previously mentioned, i have this rolling now. The motor is in the frame, the front and rear ends are together and i've started running the loom. I have a fair amount of re-work to do now though:

I scratched the shit out of the swingarm putting it in, i had a brake fluid leak over the top yolk which has destroyed the paint (not surprised) and my forks are leaking.

Anyway, to motivate myself i'm carrying on with runnig the loom and plugging everything in. Next up is to torque down all the engine mounts and then plumb it. shouldn't take long. I have a plan for the top yolk and forks, and hope to sort the swingarm in situ. 

pic of it with bodywork mocked up to keep me motivated

20180511_230731.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Found some motivation last week. 

Reinstalled cables into twist grip (sorry, no photos of the actual process, i was too busy swearing at it. not my favourite job)

52428030_10156231882697404_3900575640507645952_n.jpg.818c1642595e4e47968d206893b58ef9.jpg

Then finished plugging everything in. Mounted the battery tray, put the dash on chucked airbox back on and hooked up Jumper cables to the + and - terminals and checked for power. Success! Power!

Checked a few more things and then turned the key and hit the starter. Wasn't expecting it to turn over, but it did. Next up i'm gonna throw some fresh gas at it and see if it will fire up.

52608984_10156233782927404_837869345454424064_o.jpg.3c5c87d895d1ecefd94c74545ff99516.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got it fired up over the weekend.

Scuse the potato video,  broke my phone so had to employ the backup potato. 

Threw the radiator back on last night, filled it with coolant and let it run (with muffler) for a good half an hour to ensure that the thermostat worked and fan would kick in. Ran bloody mint and everything works as its supposed to.

Unfortunately both the swingarm and forks have gotta come off again, as i forgot the swingarm chain guide when i put it back together, and the seals failed badly in the rhs fork. But thats ok, because apart from those two things all i have left to do are the brakes and bodywork. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2017 at 14:19, 00quattro00 said:

I havent had a good run with those pyramid parts. I just buy genuine seals now

Yeah, not sure if i fucked up or not but both forks are leaking badly. Have bought some Vesrah Seals from colemans which i hope to get in tonight.

Picless update, but got the swingarm off again last night, and installed the chain guide that i missed last time. got everything back together, and torqued down, set the chain tension and rear wheel alignment.  All thats left to do before the shakedown ride Is Fork Seals, Battery and Brakes. Might even be out on it on the weekend!

Still lots to do on the fairings though, and i have a higher capacity tank arriving off a 900 sometime in the next few days which will need a good tidy up and paint, but i think in the short term i'm just gonna give it a couple of coats of mattyb until i've settled on a colour.

Will try to remember to snag some pics next time i'm out in the garage

• Like 1