Chrisr's G van

chris r

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever said when they actually start driving this around I'd like start liking it was right. I did some pesting around today and a lack of radio was a bit sucky. 

I'm my big wiring bullshit purge I threw out the radio harness.. 20 mins of googling and some meter fun and I have figured out the pinout, a quick bench test and I had it correct. Went to furniture and no sign of radio wiring so I'll have to run some more from the fuse box tomorrow when it's light. 

The panel beaters left the headlight relays floating around and they have got wet so the headlights turn themselves on. I'll dry them out and mount them tomorrow. I have to re lube the blower motor too as its noisy as 

IMG_20180217_190809899IMG_20180217_190814265IMG_20180217_194534802

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The stock muffler was leaking/rusty and shit so I replaced it with a cheapie. Slightly disappointing that its no louder than before but better than being too loud

Begone rusty pos

IMG_20180224_192543005

Everyone likes some fresh muff

IMG_20180224_194502216

Those pipes were a bloody mission to fit onto the new muffler but we got there in the end

IMG_20180224_205456476

A wild @piazzanoob hot gluing 

IMG_20180224_215312544

I still need to get the tires flipped and realign the headlights. Oh and refit the lining/fix the interior lights

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

So instead of sorting out the headlights etc I did a quick oil change and installed a cigarette lighter socket so i can actually charge stuff. I rangid in my little amp and threw some house speakers in roo so I can music from my phone. One day  ill finish the Bluetooth part of it 

• 2 weeks later...

This got very oily smelling on the moving trip so i had a nosey under it. The front crank seal is doing its best prevent any rust from forming under the van. You can actually watch it leak out... 

We has lots of 'fun' bleeding the brakes, i thought id check all the fluids and nearly zero brake fluid which is a scary thought. Ive got a crank seal and master coming from rock to sory rhose problems 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Master is in but i still need to bleed the brakes properly. 

I sorted a few little things that were annoying me today. The blower motor was making a hell of a noise and wasn't moving a lot of air. I pulled the motor out and channeled my inner Barry. Drilled out the factory rivets and pulled it apart 

IMG_20180804_161050900

The bottom bush was rotating and flopping around. Its held in by a clip arrangement. Pulled that all out and saw the Bush was worn at one end. I flipped the Bush and gave the fingers a tap with the hammer to tighten it all up. Lubed it all up and reassembled. Its mint now. No rattles and i actually have some airflow 

IMG_20180804_161117908IMG_20180804_161050900IMG_20180804_162506701

The other annoying thing wss the paint behind the grill was a mix of silver and white overspray. Have it a quick degrease and a squirt of black and its heaps better 

IMG_20180804_172455537

• Like 6

I finally listed this on Tardme and of course it decides to play up. I did a pre wof check and both seatbelts are fucked. Drivers side wont lock and the passengers wont retract. I fouund the gm part number on the passengers side belt and I can find no exact replacement.

I'll give awfe etc a call next week, Failing that can anyone recommend a seatbelt barry to go to?

Blead the brakes thought and they are now OK 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seat belts are in and after a bit of encouragement the doors are open.

IMG_20180914_205942506

I managed to get the drivers side latch out and had and figured out why it was jamming. It was full of old grease and Arizona dust which had mixed with the rain water to jam everything up 

IMG_20180914_211034866

I gave it a good dose of brake clean and re lubed everything and its working perfectly now. Probably the best it ever has in my ownership. The passengers door latch was in much better shape so I gave it a dose brake clean in place. Quick late night trip to washworld to get rid of all the bird shit and its ready for a wof tomorrow 

• Like 2

I did a quick pre check. Windscreen washers don't squirt and horn does not work. Pump was making noises but nothing coming out. I replaced the pump then the switch decided to break. The horn wasn't working as its meant to earthed through its painted mount via the single tek screw holding it in. Since tek screws are clearly gm approved I added another with a bit of wire and it's working. Quick trip to jaycar and one of the many switch holes was filled with a toggle switch for the washers. 

• 2 months later...

The door seals were pretty dry and shitty and when it rained you got a internal water feature. Rock auto to the rescue, They only took three days to arrive. 

My workmate is borrowing the van over newyears so hell help he install the new seals and second battery/vsr at some point this weekend 

IMG_20181211_222136

• Like 4