Nissan TD27 Turbo ETi - hunting issues

estate_

Anyone here know much about these engines?

I have a friend who has just bought a newish shape Terrano with a TD27 turbo ETi, I haven't had much chance to look at it properly but it seems to be hunting a bit at idle, moreso when cold. The RPM does not drop, rather sort of jumps and shudders up, eg at idle it sits at 1000, then will kind of jump between 1000/1300 and back. If you come to a stop at lights it will often do one big jump up to 1800/2000. No problems at higher RPM, holds load no problems etc so doesn't seem like a fuel supply/air issue. It is automagic so not sure what trickery there is there that could send the fuel pump signals

I cant find any good info on the ETi engines online, but I assume they are ECU controlled mechanical pumps that have no mechanical governor? Therefore chances are it is an electical issue giving it little pulses of more fuel due to a dodgy sensor/wiring/idle up/??. I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram or anything to show how the system works so I can only guess here. Tachometer also does whatever it feels like, sometimes likes to go to 6000rpm when the engine is idling and definitely not revving up. However the hunting of 1000-2000rpm is definitely real. So it definitely has some electrical gremlins going on.

Only other perhaps far fetched explanation I can think of is that the turbo is spitting a bit of oil through the intake which is causing the engine to self fuel/burn the oil and as a result revving up a bit. The turbo definitely seems a bit tired, will put out a bit of white smoke on takeoff and when the auto shifts gear/backs off rpm and boost, but hardly enough smoke to be really worried. Intake pipes are relatively wet with oil though. 

Anyway, bit of a wall of text here but hopefully someone here has a better idea of at least how these ETi engines are meant to govern themselves. I will hopefully get a chance to have a better look at it and clean plugs/sensors/check turbo play etc, but any insight on these engines is much appreciated

Cheers!

Truck has 320k on it, thanks it looks a lot like whats going on,  truck is also cutting out/stalling and faulting the ECU apparently. Looking into mechanical pump conversion now,  getting the engine running would be easy but not sure how the auto box/ecu would work without the electronic pump connected?

Anyone here know much about this?  Ill try get ahold of some of the guys on offroadexpress who have done similar  but i haven't got an account so just trying to sort that out

I think continueing with the ETi pump will only give headaches.