Mk2 Engine Siezed - Help!!

mk2panelvan

On 5/21/2017 at 18:41, Fliboi said:

yup what kyteler said, although ill add, its my understanding that the acetone is essensial, as this is what things the oil (the oil is what will free it up) enough to get down into the rusty rings and then evaporates off. 

as ky said, dont wail on the crank bolt, youll end up stripping the thread and thats not fun, just give it a good go with a whole lot of patience, it should come free. it took me around a week. 

theirs no exact amount to put down the bores. i just kept it topped up enough that i could see it was above the crown of the piston as in my mind this meant itll be slowly draining though. im not sure why it had to be ATF. MTF may work, but cheep nasty ATF is only like 10 bucks a bottle so i never really thought about it, 

Can move the engine now using the crankshaft bolt, but its still mostly pretty tight - should I keep putting AFT/Acetone down there until it frees up more? I used to be able to move it round just using the fan.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah load it up and let it soak, keep turning it over every few days and topping it up

remember to drain the sump and top up with fresh oil before restarting

you will probably find that there is a tight spot when truning it over, thats where the piston rings are rolling over the ring of rust in the bores. gentle does it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 18:40, cletus said:

Another option is put it in 4th gear, and rock it back and forward, instead of turning the crank via a socket

100% in agreement with Cletus , using a breaker-bar will more often than not only do what the name suggests i.e. break something!

Pour the concoction of your choice (I just use CRC) into the bores and rock the car in high gear. Repeat the process for a few days and if the motor wont free up no amount of additional force will have you end up with a serviceable motor, you'll probably just do more damage. 

Update - the engine is turning over using the crankshaft bolt. I've been putting 50mls of ATF/Acetone mix in about once/twice a week for the last few weeks. When I turn it over it still feels pretty tight, although there is a less tighter spot every now and then. How do I know if it is going to loosen up more? Or should I just go ahead and change the oil/filter now and try start her now?

On 6/9/2017 at 20:09, kyteler said:

If you can turn it 360deg with relative ease then ensure the coil is UNPLUGGED and spin it over with the starter.

Sweet, will give this a go - can you explain how to do this in more detail though please? Do you still put the battery back in and turn the ignition key from the drivers seat?

Yeah mate.

There is a "plug lead" that goes from the coil to the distributor cap (usually and certainly in this instance) is should plug directly into the centre and top of the cap.  Remove this lead.

Everything else can remain the same.  All you're doing is instead of turning it by hand you're letting the starter motor doing the turning for you.  Removing the lead from the coil stops the spark plugs from getting any spark and as such it stops the engine from starting so all it will do is spin or "wind over".

I would just give it a quick flick on the starter first so long as you're sure you can mechanically rotate the engine a complete circuit and then once you've done that and ensured it will spin freely, maybe wind it over for a few seconds (keep in mind you probably want to put the spark plugs back in so nothing gets spat everywhere out the holes).  So long as everything is spinning freely at that point you can then dump the old oil/fluid mix out, do a oil change, wind it over again for a few seconds on only the starter then connect your coil lead back up and try starting it properly.

• Like 3

yes defiantly chuck the plugs back in. i used a shop vac with a vacuum hose taped into the nozzle to try and clear out the cylinders before using the starter motor, chucked a rag over the plug holes hit the power and it shot the rag in the air and sprayed oil all over my roof lol. 

i must have looked funny with a rag on a stick cleaning the roof 

Image result for simpsons rag on a stick

its sounding good though!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...