Chris and his FD RX7

Pelo.

September 2018

I installed a cheap oil catch can, with “custom” (Bunnings) aluminium brackets and 8mm vinyl hose, plumbed between front turbo inlet and filler vent tube. I’ve kept the PCV valve to intake manifold. 
There isn’t much room to fit one of these, I should really get a catch can custom built. A test drive shows nothing coming out of the blow off valve, but it will be more obvious on track. 

LTgrZxT.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

October 2018

I got sick of the ugly gauge mount. I found a guy https://www.draklore.com/ that makes interior pieces for the RX7 and a few other cars. The Drakelore gauge pod replaces the centre dash speaker. It looks good and fits well. This is also a cheaper and sturdier option than finding a rare RE Amemiya steering column mount.

rBVzvZE.jpg
8K0ZjPt.jpg

• Like 1

November 2018

Time for a sound system upgrade! Nothing major, just a kit to improve on the worn out factory stuff. This car doesn’t have the crazy Bose setup like some RX7s, so it’s just a simple 4+1 speaker ‘90s system, that rattles like crazy.

The crusty old front speakers in their bespoke bracket.
STrQ11u.jpg
With some help from carspeakeradapters.com, the new Sony 6” split component speakers are mounted.
Qp06EVt.jpg
Tweeters are worth having.
wac9PlY.jpg

The rear speakers are a drop in fit 6x8” Pioneer, and I’ve also fitted a compact powered 8” subwoofer in the boot. The head unit remains the same Sony media player. A cheap and cheerful setup overall.

• Like 1

February 2019

Instead of going to Rotary REUnion, I did an Auckland Car Club race event. I raced in the Dual and Multi car sprints. This was my first real race meeting. Staying in the pits, talking to actual racers, and driving with legit race cars on track was rather great. I was the only road car in the sprint class, which was surprising. All the other class entrants were racers just getting some extra laps in. So of course I was slowest! (Excuses!)
The day was very hot, at 27c before lunch. The track temp must have been over 50c.
I put some effort into my tyre pressures. Havingi started with F30 R28 psi, they got really slippery and up to 36 even after the practice session.
By the end of the day I had dropped the cold pressure to 25, which heated up to 33F 31R (measured in the pits after a cool down lap).
The car was much grippier and predictable with the lower pressure, plus the wear seems more even. The road tyres don't get as much of those melted lumps and strips.
The Hampton Downs National circuit is so much faster than the club. I was easily hitting 200 on the straight. I just tried to get my lines and braking consistent all day.
My oil catch can works! No more oil spraying out of the BOV on to the exhaust! But the can leaks! After draining it, duct tape saved the day. I’ll need to replace it with a better setup.
Overall I certainly get more driving time at a track day, but this was worth doing.
The engine still has some rough spots. I reckon its turbo related. The boost fluctuates, and I can hear turbo spooling and slowing like an on-off oscillation. It will go away and run normally if I back off for a bit. Time to again look into the turbo control system…

• Like 2

Since then? Not a lot has happened. Just the monthly drive out to the local car show. My daughter is nearly one year old now, and family has taken up most of my time - which has been very enjoyable. I’ve driven only 1500 kms since she was born! Future plans for the RX7 at the moment are unclear. But it’s no worry having it wait in the garage for now.

MdrSpTR.jpg

• Like 3