Chris and his FD RX7

Pelo.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking sick bro.   Good score.  Glad you found one.  It's like my one's twin bar the good paint and different wheels and such.   They're such a good shape in stock form too so no need to add anything kit wise either, especially when you have the factory chin spoiler.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I went to the track. Pukekohe track session in RX7 - YouTube

An unmodified RX7 on track? Playing with fire?! I drove conservatively. Cooldown was just cruising in 4th / 5th on the straights. I still caught up on the corners, as it was a pace car, no overtaking session.

The IC heatsoak was annoying, with noticeable high rpm power drop after sustained full throttle. It also might need new ignition leads, it felt like the motor was missing occasionally.

My tyres are crap, they are well past their use by date. But the car felt pretty good and getting sideways on the hairpin was easy. It certainly bumped around a lot on the straights. compared to the other cars on the video it moved around a lot more. Might need new shocks. Or that is just normal for a light car. 

Pukekohe is intimidating with concrete walls everywhere. Very bumpy in some parts, with fast corners. I prefer Taupō or Hampton Downs, which have better sight lines and runoff.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone and bought a set of stock wheels. The 17s are nice but I want to see how the car drives as Mazda intended, and I do really like the 16s.
A test drive showed less tramlining, lighter steering, and a slightly more comfortable ride. Which is what I hoped for. Some of the roads I like to drive are not at all smooth!
The tyres are touring spec Goodyear LS2000. So the next thing to buy is a set of Potenza RE003 or Pilot Sport 3.

32096D1h.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pelo. said:

Is there a difference? :) Easiest / cheapest assumption for me to make is that the ignition leads need replacing. 

Check them with multimeter, measure how long they are, tho probably the figure is in the workshop manual

11 minutes ago, Pelo. said:

Is there a difference? :) Easiest / cheapest assumption for me to make is that the ignition leads need replacing. 

If it's missing, it's probably the coils.

If it's mis-firing you have probably done an Apex seal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got some servicing done (fuel filter and trans oils), WOF, and a fire extinguisher installed on a nice custom bracket so I can do clubsport events.

No problem with legroom as I'm not tall, pics are with the seat right back.

TXpBSveh.jpg

KVVDivmh.jpg

• Like 2