Mr and Mrs Sheepers put themselves into debt for the rest of their lives.

sheepers

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks shit hot. I've got a pair of opening gates I'm gonna replace with a slider. I was gonna weld up a frame from box section . Never even considered building it from timber. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. Are you gonna put some nail plates on the joins?

the gate is nothing fancy, 100x50 kiln dried timber on edge, as you can probably see.

the 4 external corners and the horizontal middle beam are jointed with a domino machine which puts a dowel about 40 x 30 x 140 long into the joint. 

the diags are birds mouthed and screwed with big fuck off screws going through the joints vertically.

palings are screwed to the frame to add rigidity. its fairly solid for a timber deal and was pretty easy to make. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yea i built the gate with my mate Olaf helping me. he had all the fancy tools and he made the birds mouths fit like a glove but its not rocket science.

we were going to use bomac angle brackets to brace the corners but they weren't required. you could totally substitute the domino joints for external bomac brackets and it would be sweet.

the gate is 4500 long and the diagonals come down so they are on top of the wheels but they could go anywhere.

the center horizontal is above center for no other reason than aesthetics. it just looked better with it closer to the top, that's it.

the gate is plenty strong enough, in a strong wind it will maybe move enough to hit the guide but thats more down to the distance from the top guides, and the guides on the top are only so good. i dont think it would make any difference if the gate was steel.

just make one, its easy.

• Like 1