Mr and Mrs Sheepers put themselves into debt for the rest of their lives.

sheepers

When reusing super dry old native that has been standing in a building for many decades it is often good practice to pilot drill the nail holes. If the nails don't bend when you try to hammer them in the wood will split so either way you're fucked if you don't.

• Like 4

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the neighbors house won't change at all. 

there will be a cap flashing which covers the join between the existing roof and our new one and that will be the only change. 

the gutter line stays the same so the spouting will still be continuous between the two houses. 

and the brick wall. it looks good from a far. 

it's lumpy and shit when you see it up close. and we have to insulate so it won't be a feature. the fireplace will end up as a cubbord for the dvd player etc.

• Like 3

I'm super impressed. That's a big project.

ive recently brought my first house. So far I've made an iron gate to contain my dogs.

my wife is a kitchen designer, so there's big plans there, but I'm worried about how much effort will go into repainting a bedroom... 

top marks for commitment as always.

ill keep watching with eager anticipation and soak up the inspiration and colateral motivation like I do with all your projects.

keep doing what you do.

thanks, drunk Jeff.

• Like 2

Wow, I thought I was crazy for living in one room of my house during my renovation. Yes, dust gets everywhere, I have no shower and I flush my toilet with a bucket, but there's only one of me, I have a second untouched room to store stuff, and the tarpaulin roof bit happened in summer. Still plenty to go but I'll be dry and warm at night. =|

My neighbour knocked his house down and has been building a giant modern monstrosity from scratch. He and his family have been living in a motel/rental of some form for nearly a year now due to various unexpected problems and delays. I don't know what he does for a living but it must pay well.

Your brick dividing wall going right to the roof is a handy surprise. I thought you'd be opening your neighbour's attic to the elements when taking your roof off.

On 15/04/2017 at 07:58, sheepers said:

the fireplace will end up as a cubbord for the dvd player etc.

You'd be the last person I'd expect to preserve a fireplace. :P

just to be clear im not building the new house. once the smashing is finished that's about it for my involvement. im making the steel portal and some SS flashings but thats all.

ill help out where i can but it wont be much.

speaking of smash, 

front of house removed. after i took this photo we cleaned up and put all the timber into away and generally made things clear for the digger which is turning up Tuesday

34062301945_1ac0c44485_k.jpg2017-04-16_03-00-05 by sheepers, on Flickr

33933037401_ed238b2a77_k.jpg2017-04-16_02-59-42 by sheepers, on Flickr 

• Like 8

The house that I own is also joined to the neighbouring dwelling in a similar fashion. There is a brick firewall between the two as per building regulations in my area in the late 1950s when my place was built. It extends from the ground which is below the floor (wooden pile construction) up to the roofing tiles.

I've thought about one day removing the firewall facade walls inside my place and using the firewall as a feature but cbf. Yours looks great though. +1 for using it as a feature. Also, it's your place so do whatever you want. Still, love me a good brick wall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Threeonthetree said:

The house that I own is also joined to the neighbouring dwelling in a similar fashion. There is a brick firewall between the two as per building regulations in my area in the late 1950s when my place was built. It extends from the ground which is below the floor (wooden pile construction) up to the roofing tiles.

I've thought about one day removing the firewall facade walls inside my place and using the firewall as a feature but cbf. Yours looks great though. +1 for using it as a feature. Also, it's your place so do whatever you want. Still, love me a good brick wall.

would be easy to do but there would be many pitfalls which would make the "finishing" difficult.

you should come over and have a nose so you can see it all first hand.

a hole got dug.

34110820145_ac6b259b10_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-22-56 by sheepers, on Flickr

exposing the main stormwater/sewer line

34110816515_89541deb98_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-22-47 by sheepers, on Flickr

33980559411_edc95800b6_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-22-38 by sheepers, on Flickr

then they stuck this thing in the hole to stop the sides falling in

33299422343_9983588d87_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-21-59 by sheepers, on Flickr

33980547051_c2e1bfa4f7_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-21-40 by sheepers, on Flickr

then the diggers had a nap for the night.

33980544321_9b5b95d78d_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-21-30 by sheepers, on Flickr

33980542601_aff254e9b4_k.jpg2017-04-18_04-21-21 by sheepers, on Flickr

• Like 9