Ok so I've a general cleaning old motor bike engine parts question Id like advice on but maybe people have some great tips on other cleaning jobs to do with cars. Perhaps you've found the perfect ratio of diesel to pine handy Andy with which to clean your felt head lining spotlessly.. if so then post it here. 

My query is how best to clean baked on oil off alloy castings on a motor bike engine. I've tried petrol and de-greaser but not much luck. I was wondering about using paint stripper but wanted to check it won't damage the alloy. Any ideas? If I was made of money and had more time I'd take the parts to a engine recon place and get them to clean it but I'd rather find a way I can do it myself. It's not terrible but since the parts are off I might as well try cleaning them.

Plus gearboxes etc when they get that oil stained look. Anyone here found something good to clean them with? Maybe something slightly alkaline?

32 minutes ago, tortron said:

Smaller stuff. Boil it in water with some lemon juice or vinegar.

Will give that darker aluminium look rather than a bright new look but

No.......don't tell me.......Annabel Langbein.....is that you?:compress:

(Edited to say I use Kero, a ton of elbow grease and a fine wire brush for the burnished Aluminium look).

For alloy - cheap oven cleaner in the can spray 

DO NOT  leave it to sit too long.

rinse off with water  Scrub brush on the stubborn bits and rinse the hell out of it with water or it will etch into the alloy 

toxic as hell -outdoor use only -catch the runoff and kill gorse with it or something 

will also remove anodising from alloy 

• Like 1

Awesome offer !! however I want to get this m/bike sorted maybe even this weekend plus the bits are not so bad to warrant posting it away.

However- you are my new BFF and I shall hope to take you up on your cleaning services offer in the future :-)

Yeh man please do so. I have in my workshop

paragon: phenol, dichloromethane. heavy degreaser,paint stripper for aluminium

HTP tank: costic hot 70 degree heavy degreaser paint stripper for steel.

Alcolox: sodium hydroxide tank for de rusting steel.

Hydrochloric acid: for stubborn de rusting

• Like 3

Oven cleaner is usually a very strong sodium hydroxide solution with a foaming agent if I remember right. Go to a trade shop and grab water based degreaser, will cost like $30 for 5L then you can use it for anything around the house. As mentioned before it's really really caustic so don't leave it on alloys,copper white or yellow metal. You can then make you own oven cleaner. It's also great for getting that shitty brown stuff on your tyres off. I dilute mine to hell and add bleach, hey presto floor/bathroom cleaner. At the ratios you use it's would take years to get through a bottle of bleach and that stuff. 

Oh it's the shit for cleaning interiors of cars, vinyl etc , combined with a soft brush it will get all the gross out of the crinkly bits they nothing else seems to touch. 

Or take up Denhams offer. I don't know what cold dip tanks have in them but years back I was dipping a turbo compressor housing and pulled it out, I dropped it back in and without thinking caught it with my bare hand in the tank. Was in there for less then a couple seconds. Entire hand peeled and my cuticles felt like they were on fire. Nasty nasty stuff.

• Like 1

I used some bunnings degreaser shit on a mega grotty BMW head. It looked like it had come out of someone's arse. Container said not for aluminium. So I applied it pretty much undiluted from the bottle. 

Obviously didn't leave it on too long. Head came out looking like it had just been cast. Spotless.

• Like 3

Oh, baked on Dirt. it might be too far gone , but when im trying to clean down diff housings, inside hubs etc that have been dirty and soaked in oil a long time i usually soak it with diesel and leave a few hour/send the truck on a trip . diesel dont evapourate like petrol/kero does and is really good for breaking it up, esp diff oil and dirt, which im sure everyone can agree is duuummmmbbb trying to remove. might not work, its an option though. same with cleaning diff and gearbox parts, give them a spray of diesel , itll dilute the sticky oil and make the degreaser work much better/faster.

• Like 1