• 3 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes. I saw a similar vehicle yesterday- but a larger delica pick up. I never realised the delicas have a seperate chassis? Or at least the little truck cab type so. It looked cool and all I could picture was a tiny rustic wooden cabin on the back.

Bush block donkey is going really well. Earning its keep easily! Hannah made her first trailer a couple of months ago. Its for the car/van but has turned out to be a perfect size to tow behind the donkey for carting scrub about to the gully for burning etc. Its too wide to take up the ridge so we'll build a smaller one for those duties.

P1110536.jpg

P1110701.jpg

P1110707.jpg

The wooden bins are being put into use to carry grass clippings up to the ridge so I can cultivate my lawn bowl area with nourishment...

P1110853.jpg

P1110854.jpg

I need to adjust the carb needle..maybe. not sure. ONce warmed up if you try to accelerate or open up the throttle beyond say 1/3, even slowly, it lean bogs. Give it just a little choke and its good. but then the idle is crap. Thinking of moving the needle up one slot in piston ?. Unfamiliar with these carbs so its all a little guessing game.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Quick update to say that this old beasty is still going strong and earning every cent of its $300-400 price :-) 

Its never ran completely right fueling wise but everything seemed in order in the two times I stripped the carb. It would just simply lean out if I tried to give it too much throttle. The needle height was correct too.  In the end I thought bugger it- I'll get a carb kit just in case I've missed something. $30 later and wow!!!!  I wish I had fitted a kit ages ago. Sooooo much better. The only thing I can guess at was that a previous owner has fitted a kit with the wrong needle taper.

Anyway.. now its a rocket ship. Apparently they are geared for 80kph? Well yeah it would easily pull up to that but damned if I'd want to be on it at that speed.  However its way better at climbing up to the ridge. Damn its a handy thing. Loving it.

Lawn mowing and tree planting on the ridge...easy.

566151104_20180916_101755(2).jpg.07ff67c0493b5fb36d56a4a0f1c4a349.jpg

Next to do job is build a tiny trailer, about a meter wide. Sort of a trailing dolly type thing as I have a new plan on how to tow up all the decking and other timber for the cabin.

Back flips here we come.....

• Like 7

yeah actually thats sort of the thing I was thinking.  A simple dolly with a long tow bar.  Hannah could walk behind and steer dolly.

Then can be swapped for short bar and used as a normal small quad trailer. make it tipping for carting gravel etc.

Hell- anything will be better then carrying stuff. weve recently built two more wood sheds. the top one was a day of 1000 meters of climbing overall carrying timber and iron up.  Great for keeping shape but tiring!

Have decided that shifting the materials for the cabin build will involve helicopter!!!

I think the quad can only tow 250kg...on the flat. The track is pretty bloody steep. Lengths of the decking we have is about 5 or 6m.

If done right with a helicopter or can be very cheap and easy. Another local over the big hill from us paid a pilot $500 cash for about 10min airtime pick up and drop off. Pilot was on his way home from another job. It saved him weeks of carting stuff.  Everyone won. 

Plus helicopters!!!! I mean like.. Just wow. 

• Like 3

yeah, had recommended use of helicopters to people planning on building in the waitakeres  to save carving out massive truck access roads with all the associated gravel + retaining etc, people thought i was having a laugh, but  it can work out quite a bit cheaper depending on how many loads and exactly what the load is etc.

Helicopter use is a time=money scenario, but can be seriously a lot less time and money than the other 'cheaper' options but you need it to run like clockwork, every minute wasted is like $10 minimum. 

I would assume that if you had a truck  accessible load staging area (by your shed?) and all the loads were pre-organised and ok-ed by the pilot (they tend to like to use their own ground people who know what they are doing at load and drop zones, which also cost$) you could probably get all the bulky stuff needed for a small cabin up in a couple of loads?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

I think the quad can only tow 250kg...on the flat. The track is pretty bloody steep. Lengths of the decking we have is about 5 or 6m.

If done right with a helicopter or can be very cheap and easy. Another local over the big hill from us paid a pilot $500 cash for about 10min airtime pick up and drop off. Pilot was on his way home from another job. It saved him weeks of carting stuff.  Everyone won. 

Plus helicopters!!!! I mean like.. Just wow. 

My old 250 Suzy quad tows a trailer loaded with sand , they definitely can tow , stopping is a little difficult though . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azzurro said:

I would assume that if you had a truck  accessible load staging area (by your shed?)

Yeah our neighbour around the corner has masses of fields (huge huge farm) and we could have the stuff sat ready to be lifted in an area only probably 1km or less from the drop off. No power lines of big trees to worry about. Couldnt be easier. 

Things like sheets of plywood and roofing iron would be the best thing to get lifted. Carrying plywood up a steep slope would get boring really quick me thinks. 

One of the top beer drinking locations in the country that ridgeline!

Yarning with my brother (heli pilot) he mentioned underslung loads need consent from all the landowners flown over, (technically that includes roads)

Shortest run possible, and make sure the loads are all as close to max as possible, no point leaving load capacity spare!

They'd send out the ground crew to organise each load, chopper just pops in when its ready to run and game on.

He mentioned a number of guys up your way with machines capable of helping out, shouldn't be too hard to get one to swing by on the way home!

• Like 1

Sweeeet. It'll only be travelling over one property and hes one of a few who suggested a helicopter :-)

If you're brother has contacts and is keen to name drop any I should ring then please ask!

No rush. Small matter of selling house truck, build mezzanine in shed, building new house first etc.... 

we use helicopters quite often in forestry, not just for spraying but for flying deadman anchor logs across gullies into farm land and my cable hauler contractors often use choppers for flying strawline across gullies because a chopper can do it in ten mins where as men carrying it would take 2-3 hours, if thats slowing down a entire logging operation that has a cost of around $10k per day the $1000.00 for the helicopter is well spent.

you should be able to get your stuff done cheap as chips with a chopper, as mentioned above go talk to your local outfit and find out when they have a job nearby so they can just quickly do it on their way back to base, talk to them about how they want it rigged up and get it all pre stropped and rigged up for them and it will literally take like ten mins and for 2-3 trips and save you soooooo many kilojoules 

• Like 1