• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My own private Denniston incline. Hmmmm. I’d still get to wear a boiler suit and engineers hat too.  Actually my Mum’s side of the family came from the westcoast and Grandfather worked in the mines as a steam engineer. My great Grandfather died in a big explosion there.    But an incline would be lots of work and Ive done enough digging for now..

Anyway..back to the Big Red. I took some photos.

20170402_091806.jpg

20170402_091850.jpg

It has the optional factory fan fitted which will be handy for slow ascents..

20170402_092045.jpg

You can see the damaged thread here…

20170402_092134.jpg

It came complete with a gun rack and spot light mount. I don’t have a gun (getting firearms license is on the list of things to do as we have many pigs and deer) , but my cousin visiting has some so I tested it out…

20170402_092911.jpg

20170402_093221.jpg

Hannah has been cleaning the engine parts but we will get something stronger to get the last bits clean. Its not bad but makes sense while its apart.

I found another small broken bolt in the cylinder barrel. I mounted it on the drill mill and and managed, with the help of some localised heat, to remove the remains. My next task is to drill out, tap and helicoil the stripped head bolt thread.

P1110371.jpg

We bought a head gasket set from a local trademe seller who does up old bikes. Handy to know.  Reassembly will commence when I have finished a large trailer build (that I really should be out doing now..but coffee to drink..)

• Like 3

It's a width thing.. our tracks are narrow and we want to keep the that way. Wide enough for a quad.  Makes them much nicer for biking a walking. 

But yeah.. this quad has turned out to be in very good condition, bar the engine repair needed. We will just use it for now and see what it's like. However if I can sell the trailer for ok coin we might end up with a good quad for less than $500 and I won't feel so bad about modifying it. Plus it's a great starting point.  I have been looking for ages and there's always good reason why cheap quads are cheap... 

I'm amazed at how much new quads cost too!  New version of these are 12 k plus !!! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...