Driveshaft Loops for cert - I change my mind these are genius haha.

Roman

I bet your arsehole took a huge bite out of the seat when that happened!

I recall seeing a kp starlet at the drags with a ca18det and a 75 shot on slicks blow a front uni joint. It had hoops etc. But it still made quite a mess. (Tail housing of the cogbox was scrap metal only.)

I took a gander under the back after it was loaded onto the trailer. I remember thinking, you know I should probably fit a hoop to my car one day. That one day never actually came. Which is probably why it's a requirement for cert. /wats cert?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Celica RA45 said:

ok to long ,go to a 2 piece ,doesnt matter if you go bigger in dia it will still whip and snap in the middle .so if you were doing 7600 i 6th the tailshaft would be over 8600 rpm 

18 hours ago, Celica RA45 said:

im doing 8800 in 5th which is overdrive of .880 with a 4.6 ratio .i dont have any problem with my 2 piece .but i did change the bolt together part of the 2 shaft to upgrade to ra60 as i was twisting the splines on the center at the carrier 

What caused it was the crap rear universal that i had just installed. I have gone to a larger shaft with stronger universals, 2 piece would be nice but not feasible at the moment without a lot of work.

There are calculators you can Google that give a max safe rpm for driveshaft length vs diameter vs wall thickness etc.

In related sharnery, I suspect a factory valiant driveshaft must be on the limit of safe for high speed use, when I had the turbo motor in my vg, doing sustained cooling system tests in 3rd gear at 5k rpm it would get a weird vibration that it never got any other time.

I did read a story on another forum where a valiant shaft let go somewhere over 200 kph,  broke the gearbox off the engine as well

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cletus said:

I did once and it did the vibration thing so I didnt do it again

Based on said Google calculations, what's the maximum safe speed for a valiant drive shaft do you think?

I only ask as it's only a matter of time before a certain hardtop might see somewhere around 6k.  (There's plenty of road straight enough out that ways)