Chrisr has too many projects so what's another rx7

chris r

We found a box with some home made circuit board in it and wondered wtf it was. No idea how I found it but turns out it's a fuel cut defender. 

I don't quite understand the reasoning of them. They say fuel cut can make you go lean which detonates & damages apex seals etc. So you make a device that tells the ecu it has less boost and it then will be running lean causing the same problem... Can anyone elaborate on that? 

Here is a link for the write up on making your own for series 4 rx

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205221712/http://www.fc3s.org/how_tos/electrical/fcd.html

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I filled out the online form for getting this collected from goat, they called last night saying they would collect it today. its a bit too soon as it still needs to be moved out of the shed and I still haven't paid them to pick it up. The tow truck driver is named barry which I thought was appropiate. I should hopefully get it late next week

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

remember how I said I couldn't find a turbo timer? well I didn't look very hard...

IMG_20170512_220311355

I chopped that out and it still wont turn off when you turn the ignition off so I'll have to keep looking. @yoeddynz has very generously loaned me a wiring diagram book so it'll make tracking down the fault easier

I topped off the rad and ran moved it, it was running for all of 3 mins and its pressurizing the rad enough to spew out. Before I jump to conclusions I'll flush everything out and give it a bleed

• Like 7

I popped into adl and had some sharns picked up some rad flush, cooling system bandaid/radiator clogger and some exhaust cement 

Zebra mission was successful, after looking at nearly everything I found a electronic fan that's pretty close in size. It's even got a metal shroud do I can butcher it to fit the fc rad. It's twin speed even so I can get fancy later. For now I'll just switch high speed. 

Gave the rad a good hose out and threw some flush in it. I got it to idle by unplugging the idle valve. The fine bubbles calmed down a tad but the bigger surges I guess you'd call them stayed 

IMG_20170513_145934120

• Like 1

I chopped off the mounting tabs and moved them so they would bolt onto the fc rad. 

The swift fan is a pretty good fit I think, its a score for $20

IMG_20170513_153809724

Got my monies worth out of the cutting disc

IMG_20170513_154131371

Welding is getting less bad

IMG_20170513_161719591

Lovely, the wiring even comes out in a nice place. I didn't plan it that well

P1040841

it needs a bit more tweaking making the holes bigger & nicer for the hoses but I'm happy with fitment for how little work it needed

P1040844P1040843

I tried warming it up again but it decided to do a few backfires and run on one rotor. I suspect the injectors are gummed up again and the fuel pump wiring is still shit. I need to stop being impatient and sort out the running problems instead of trying to get it good enough to do a skid go for a test drive.

There is what looks like a thermo switch in the bottom of the rad so I'll test it to make sure it works and actually is a thermo switch and wire it up with a relay. I figured out the fan wiring, it appears there are two sets of brushes in the motor, if you have either powered up it'll be low speed and have both connected in parallel it'll go full tit. Another option could be series/parallel them for extra low but thats for later. I've ordered some of these for the shroud so hopefully it'll prevent any vibration etc

R1264297-01.jpg

• Like 6

I got it running long enough to bleed it today and the bubbles have mostly gone which is good, It still has the large surges? for lack of a better term. It ran long enough for me to think its a good idea to take it for a test drive and I got 50 mt up the road before it lost a rotor. I'll get it in the garage and make a start on running a new fuel pump wire and getting the rad fan mounted and wired.

• Like 1

Poor thing Didn't want to start for me last time I tried so I cranked it on the starter until it got here. I'm actually quite liking the steelie/whitewall combo. I need to tidy the garage enough so I can get it inside. I have ordered some bosch ev1 plugs off aliexpress so I can replace all the fucked injector/temp sensor plugs

P1040846

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

I watched the video on rebuilding rotaries and it looks easy enough... When I get my other projects more complete then I'll rip into this. I need to focus on finishing one thing instead of having 3 un finished projects on the go 

• Like 4