Sunbeam's Fiat 125

Sunbeam

1 hour ago, azzurro said:

125s had the early twin cams (14xx cc and 1608cc) had thermostat in the head (cortina is the same part no) and a single exit housing and pretty standard hose routing, that 3 way thermostat is for the later twincams (124bc on, 131, 132, and ladas etc) that have a 'T' or two way housing and slightly strange hose routing as a result

Either system works fine but you only need the one :)

I did know that early and late had different setups. I think I prefer the early. Anyway, I get to decide later, but I don’t think I’ll run 2 again! Stay tuned for more engine teardown pain!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ul9601 said:

hey about de rusting your tank, so did you just "slosh" around 5 litre of evaporust a few times over 2 day period? 

Pretty much, yeah. The result surprised me, because normally I’m sceptical of magic potions.

• Like 1

I second it being legit. Uses a chemical process called chelation. So no acid. There are several products that are all the same shiz. Metal rescue is another one. It eventually does stop working because the active ingredient is used up in the chelation reaction and it gets real dark brown.

• Like 1

I'm doing reverse electrolysis on a bike tank at the moment - it's all coming back to me now, what a pain in the ass it is... lol

So does Evaporust pull the rust off and leave fresh metal surface? Or is it one of those that turn it to black-ish stuff? 

1 hour ago, Adoom said:

I second it being legit. Uses a chemical process called chelation. So no acid. There are several products that are all the same shiz. Metal rescue is another one. It eventually does stop working because the active ingredient is used up in the chelation reaction and it gets real dark brown.

I'll read up later - wikipedia page has a bunch of chemical symbols so that put me right off. too hot to read that right now... 

It 'chelates' it as adoom says, which in practice means the rust pretty much just falls off with the hose after soaking for a while leaving clean metal. You can then dip it and let it air dry on the thing as a weak antiflash too, but needs rinsing off before paint. Also old containers are on spesh (all gone where i saw it) as crc seems to have bought it out  and are now advertising it on telly in a new label

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, Sunbeam said:

Got a call from the engine shop, bore wear is 6 thou which is the trigger for a rebore. New pistons on the way$$$$$!

can you even find genuine oversize 1608 pistons? I guess thats why they are spendy

May be worth exploring other more common alternatives, i think there are much more common Mazda and Honda piston alternatives with very similar dimensions and details that have been used commonly before - the pistons in my 1500cc van engine for eg whcih have the same bore and dims (will have to check my notes for the details).

that should save you a few bucks to spend on underfloor neons, 22's and some mad ICE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azzurro said:

can you even find genuine oversize 1608 pistons? I guess thats why they are spendy

May be worth exploring other more common alternatives, i think there are much more common Mazda and Honda piston alternatives with very similar dimensions and details that have been used commonly before - the pistons in my 1500cc van engine for eg whcih have the same bore and dims (will have to check my notes for the details).

I’ve heard about the Mazda pistons. I know the rings from the old B2000 are compatible, but the pistons have flat tops, so no dice.

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

185s look silly imo, will 205s fit under the guards?

Tyre calculator says 155x13 = 175/70×13 = 205/60×13, so slightly undersized compared to 185/70×13.

Stock size was 175/82/13 so I’m already under geared and 205/60 will be even worse. Yes, I’m confident 205/60 will fit, but it’s a lot of tyre on a car that weighs less than a Suzuki Swift. The rim width and offset also increases the scrub radius, and wider tyres will do so to an even larger extent.

EDIT: 205/60 vs stock is 7% smaller circumference so 100km/h goes from 3520rpm to 3766rpm

• Like 1

• 2 months later...