Sunbeam's Fiat 125

Sunbeam

heh, that DMS has got around.

You need the factory carb linkage from the firewal to carb from a 132 to run it, or fashion one from allthread and off cuts (this has worked on my twin sideys for 5 years now, lol) .

IIRC the main difference between solex and DMS is the throttle butterfly direction changes from 'push' to 'pull' needing one or other of the tabs on the linkage flipping to the other side

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 01/05/2017 at 03:47, Sunbeam said:

Nope, no carbs yet. I would probably save up and buy new tbh. I check Trademe Fiat parts often. I did see an IDF manifold pop up the other day for 200 but yeah, I don't know if they'll fit on a 125. Would rather DCOEs anyway.

My old 125 had a Weber DGV fitted. No issues with that one.

Weber specialties used to throw in a free manifold if you brought new 40 DCOE's from them and they'd fit the right jets too.

Id be heading down this route if I were to start again, expensive initially but way cheaper in the long run.

A pair of 40's, a 2.5 inch exhaust and this motor will rev happy.

Even just the exhaust, 2.5 inch bends, a large straight through perferated resonator in the centre (not louvred) and a straight through muffler on the end will go well. You'll get all the crackl pop on the overrun too.

My mates Strada 130tc made gains of 10% on the dyno with just the exhaust mod. 

Twin carbs is a long way off at this stage. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time, so there's no rush. In the interim I'll try and get it running right as stock so I can concentrate on getting it road legal, iron out the bugs, enjoy driving it and then start throwing money at frivolities like wheels, carbs, steering wheel etc. We're building a house later this year so both time and money will be scarce... good news though, the land comes with a 135sq m shed...

On 4/6/2017 at 16:48, azzurro said:

Nice. I have a spare solex carb you can have if you want it plus loads of random bits and pieces that are probably crapper than the bits you already have on that minter. 

But if you need any non consumable bits let me know.

Any chance you want to rehome that carb? PM me with terms and conditions please. I'd be keen to know what version. It should be C34 PAIA #. I'm most interested in the #

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

5 speed will be a good upgrade.

Nice work on the MGB, I've always like the look of those, very pretty wee things for a 70's pom-mobile.

I just can't believe how small they are in the metal ( or what's left of it lol)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good to see some progress,

On 5/29/2017 at 14:38, Sunbeam said:

Any chance you want to rehome that carb? PM me with terms and conditions please. I'd be keen to know what version. It should be C34 PAIA #. I'm most interested in the #

Cheers

The Solex is still rolling around in the boot of my 125 if you want it?

0X3g1a.jpg

yhCcR2.jpg

fOLVJX.jpg

m87FEp.jpg

BmGsv1.jpg

the Cavis tube is pretty good stuff, so might be wicking from somewhere else? The rubber bungs in the master cylnders never seal properly for me, and the plastic tangs have big mould join edges that stop a good seal and the plastic deforms when you crank the hose clamps up too much trying to stop the leaks. (Or so a friend told me...)

On 6/13/2017 at 17:45, 63Ragtop said:

5 speed will be a good upgrade.

Im not too fussed about the (124) 5 speed in mine, 1st is lower and 5th isnt that much higher, but my old 4speed was noisy and notchy and the 2l wont bolt up...

I'd be keen to give that carb a go. Let me know how many Lire you want for it and postage. I am beginning to suspect seat damage in the mixture screw, and there is a hairline fracture in the accelerator pump housing.

The brake tubing is weird, I can't find it tracking from anywhwere and it only started seeping after I bled the system with Valvoline Dot4. All the tubing is sweating on all sides. At least it's easy/ cheap to fix this problem.

the 124 box looks good sitting on my garage floor for now. The 4 speed in the car is mechanically fine until I find time. It'd be interesting to see how long the 124 gearbox in yours lasts behind a 2 litre. I have found a bit of anecdotal evidence that the 124 5 speed is one  weakest Fiat boxes made.

You will need to chop out the 4speed tunnell which is park of the linkage and make or find a 5 speed tunnel to fit. The boxes were factory fitted to 2l 124 and 132s and mine has been fine. Maybe its  an issue for racing? 

$20 + postage? Need any other doodads?

On 9/09/2017 at 09:41, Sunbeam said:

the 124 box looks good sitting on my garage floor for now. The 4 speed in the car is mechanically fine until I find time. It'd be interesting to see how long the 124 gearbox in yours lasts behind a 2 litre. I have found a bit of anecdotal evidence that the 124 5 speed is one  weakest Fiat boxes made.

mostly they are all old and worn by now. they aren’t the strongest gearbox in the world but considering they were originally designed for a 90hp 1.4L they do alright. if you are just driving and fanging around on the road i wouldn’t be concerned at all. no clutch kicks and a little sympathy with shift speed and no problem.

usually its the brass syncros that get wanged and the selector forks get worm and they feel like a bit of a cock in a sock.  if you get too aggressive with you shifting speed the syncros  seem to get damaged in a way that they spit out of whatever gear you wanged them on.  I've done this with two gearboxes behind the supercharged 2L. both times getting over zealous with the shifting at trackdays.  the first one had seen plenty of thrashing behind the original 1800 beforehand which probably didn’t help. then the second one, well pot luck second hand gearbox lottery. looked ok before hand though when i took the bottom cover off to inspect. worked find until i abused it haha.  I’m still driving around on it , just it pops out of 3rd on engine braking if you don’t hold it in gear.

The actual gears and shafts seem not so bad - can confirm they are stronger than the axles.......

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Keeping the electomag fan? 

I had same oily reserviour situation in my ute. I ran a couple of rounds of plain water with some dishwasher powder for a couple days each and its fine now.

The indicator bit looks good for a 125. 

The rust in the radiator support is the main bit, check the chassis rail corner gussets and castor contol arm mount areas too. The support panel and valance rusts from the inside out due to the dumb design on the wheel arch side.

1 hour ago, azzurro said:

Keeping the electomag fan?   For now, yep.

I had same oily reserviour situation in my ute. I ran a couple of rounds of plain water with some dishwasher powder for a couple days each and its fine now.  Will do the same.

The indicator bit looks good for a 125. 

The rust in the radiator support is the main bit, check the chassis rail corner gussets and castor contol arm mount areas too. The support panel and valance rusts from the inside out due to the dumb design on the wheel arch side. Yep, quite suspect looking in those areas!

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The last blurry photo looks like the elecrtomagnetic fan power supply thing. The spring presses a carbon bush aganst the back of the fan and when the temp sensor comes on it locks the fan on. 

I have a few of those points style regulators, on my lockup. i think @Testament is still rocking his? The solid state lada ones are a plugin replacement. I hid mine in a gutted points box so looks are the same

• Like 1

Aaaah, cheers for that! Makes sense. I was wondering a while ago where the power feed for that brush was. The wire is a bit mangled, so I wonder if it got a bit hot too seeing as it was bundled with my melted cable. 
How’s Dunedin treating you?