Sunbeam's Fiat 125

Sunbeam

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! Car survive ok? Keen to see more of your one.

I know your pain about the lada grief. A mate had a mint 125 at high school and this was before I had a real appreciation for all makes and models. He got grief a lot. His old man was a euro piner and loved fiats. I almost bought their Fiat 850 Coupe back in the day. His 125 was dark grey and had 125T interior, wheels, springs and engine from memory? Twin cam , dort dort sidies , the world's poorest throttle linkage (that broke almost every time he thrashed it) and performance unequal to another mates datsun 1200. 

Me sporting the bleached hair 20 years ago! (with Anpanman on forum) and the old owner.

UlaR0u9.jpg

It was actually a really cool car.

There was a white 125 and a teal 124 that went for a steal at that auction in Wanganui I went to towards the end of last year. Some dealer from Bulls bought both for 5k (and they looked pretty immaculate.) He is now trying to sell each one for higher than he paid for both.

• Like 2

All the cars on the transporter were fine. The serious crash unit impounded the whole rig though while they investigated the crash. I got my car 10 days later.

I've seen that white 125 on Trademe. I even spotted it driving through Sanson on my way south last year. Looks pretty good, but not $10k good.

To my knowledge all 73's got the high back seats. The car was in runout mode by then.  At the moment, engine plans are restricted to new cambelt, water pump, thermostat etc. plugs, leads, points, radiator clean out and a rebuild kit for the carb. When I'm a bit more financial I'd love a 2 litre with sideys and a 5 speed, but for now it's soooo original I want to keep it as is for a while. It's a beautifully quiet motor and leaks no oil, so why mess with it...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I have a spare solex carb you can have if you want it plus loads of random bits and pieces that are probably crapper than the bits you already have on that minter. 

But if you need any non consumable bits let me know.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ugh, solex.  Get a weber owl.

I think the sucking inlet is to the base of the air filter (there is a big (crank breather) and small (this) flange on the base of the filter housing)

3 adjustment screws or two?

1 should be idle mix screw, the other should be throttle stop. third one? IDK

Step 1

adjust idle mix screw till you get it halfway between the fastest idle just before it drops revs when you screw it in a bit more (leanest fastest idle) and when idle speed drops when you wind it out a bit more (richest fastest idle) 

Step 2

adjust throttle stop screw for appropriate revs (my feeling is this is the one doing the sucking noise as the vacuum increases/bypasses some restriction or orifice)

repeat steps 1 and 2 ad infinitum in ever finer adjustments untill you dial in the leanest point (mix) it will idle at your spec engine speed or untill you reach your bothered threshold.

(also step zero, ignition timing - i find these engines like a bit more than factory advance but no more than 36deg all in, and they run way better warm  (warm = fan cycled at least twice)

Twin 40 sidedraughts is what you need. I had them on my twin cam Lada and it did the doooorts.

This was only after I managed to find a manifold that cleared the dizzy tho, they are out there.

Picture205_zpseccc430a.jpg

Picture208_zps52bfdef5.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, azzurro said:

I think the sucking inlet is to the base of the air filter (there is a big (crank breather) and small (this) flange on the base of the filter housing)

Hmmm. The small breather was attached here....DSC06450.JPG.440752667958a6f89a27f20fd0a6b633.JPG

28 minutes ago, azzurro said:

3 adjustment screws or two?

1 should be idle mix screw, the other should be throttle stop. third one? IDK

3. The idle mix and throttle stop are self evident.  The other one looks like this when removed.

DSC06455.JPG.fae74c68660735120681c5fb6101dcb6.JPGDSC06456.JPG.b30b245d7416d61fa08ba44c5c3443c0.JPG

PO may have hooked it up wrong then?

The sucking thing should be getting

either filtered air ,

OR be hooked up to a vacuum diapham (and therefore blocked off unless you have a vac advance dizzy and therefore sucking is adding extra air in that it shouldnt be getting)

25 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

This is the dream setup. If anyone can point me in the direction of such a manifold...

Do you have carbs already?

I have 2 manifolds (one in use, other has dizzy scoop removed, pending dizzyless ignition 'one day'...) 

They pop up on Tme now and again, around the $200 mark, 125T specific and NZ made NZDM yo!

I also have a 124 'waffle' fannymould for IDF downdrafts i would sell but there may be strut clearance issues? (have never fitted it up so not sure)

• Like 1

Nope, no carbs yet. I would probably save up and buy new tbh. I check Trademe Fiat parts often. I did see an IDF manifold pop up the other day for 200 but yeah, I don't know if they'll fit on a 125. Would rather DCOEs anyway.

My old 125 had a Weber DGV fitted. No issues with that one.

Are you in chch? I happen to have a standard webber carb I obtained from Azzuro sitting on a standard manifold in the shed, its doin odd things at present, but you're welcome to try it to eliminate issues.

Azzuro, I wish you didn't say you had an idf manifold, I would much like to try it somtime!

• Like 1

Hi, Yeah I'm in Loburn which is near enough! What kind of strange things is that carb doing? Wouldn't mind taking a look at it. 

Love the Niva btw. My Dad had one in 1979 which I just barely remember. We lived in Europe at the time. It replaced a series 3 Landy!

Its running really rich when the secondary opens, I can't see anything obvious so its likely just in need of a good clean, I was planning on using it to run in my engine but just went straight to the dells instead. I have a box of parts & jets there, bit of poking around might sort it out.