Kimjon's Harley bobber project

Kimjon

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a quick look. Seems there are inbuilt circuit breakers that will reset themselves, and led indication of status. Shit information from website tho, had to dig thru a few HD forums... :)

HD seems to favour CBs that reset, I prefer fuses that let you know you have a problem until you fix it. When I wired the cafe' I just used a 4 fuse block with a main fuse to the key then back to separate fused circuits for ignition, lights and accessories. Then you either lose everything with a big fault, or the problem cct is isolated.

Sorry I really don't know enough about that harness/system to advise, but it should be ok to wire as per instructions...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Had a quick look. Seems there are inbuilt circuit breakers that will reset themselves, and led indication of status. Shit information from website tho, had to dig thru a few HD forums... :)

HD seems to favour CBs that reset, I prefer fuses that let you know you have a problem until you fix it. When I wired the cafe' I just used a 4 fuse block with a main fuse to the key then back to separate fused circuits for ignition, lights and accessories. Then you either lose everything with a big fault, or the problem cct is isolated.

Sorry I really don't know enough about that harness/system to advise, but it should be ok to wire as per instructions...

Thanks for putting in that effort to help, much appreciated.

There are two models 18-530 which has those led fault indicators. And the newer version 18-533 which is much smaller and doesn't have the led's.

Mine is the 18-533. Ive searched and searched and there's basically no good answers, but lots of people with similar questions online.

I'll put a main fuse in for starter etc...otherwise just send it i think??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

Looking forward to hearing this run, have you got any closer to picking a colour?

Same. Yeah colour was always going to be root beer or candy colar, which are basically the same, ones a mid metallic brown, ones a darker smokey metallic brown/black. But as always, ive got annopen mind on colour and I more know what I don't like - rather than what I do like.

1 hour ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Sound plan. No harm in having an inline fuse. Little bit of extra work and cost but far cheaper than an electrical fire... :thumbleft:

What size fuse would you put in? Would you put in more than one, to say each of the controls, headlight, rear end??? Treat me like an idiot and spell it out sloooowly...

Generally ignition, lights and accessories have their own circuits. So you could lose lights (for example) but still ride in daytime to get home. Idea is to segregate sections so a wiring fault doesn't trip everything. My accessories are only the horn and a 12v power socket...

Can't remember what sizes I put in but every bike will be different anyway (LED lamps vs H4 etc). Think I asked forums what current draw was for ironhead igntn cct and went from that. 10 - 15A rings a bell? You don't want nuisance fuse operation, it's only for short circuit type protection to prevent sparks/fires.

Prob best to look at similar bike's wiring diagrams to get an idea. Always good to print them and follow circuits with a highlighter to see how things work...

• Thanks 1

Experimenting with tyre paint pens.

All my tyres are completely different, must be a race thing eh - fronts set up to grip in the corner and rears for drifting??? (Joking) Its just what was on it when I got it.

20210123_152524.thumb.jpg.75a65456584c04179e1b9f941e4e3c3e.jpg

But just like tattoos, its more about the attitude than the art itself. I'm digging the results of the white lettering, so thats all that matters.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spaghetti junction??

20210825_145002.thumb.jpg.f55a978e58ab59f88f995970b53fb0f0.jpg

But its a big step forward for me.

As much as I wanted this job to magically solve its own problem...I had to take control of my fears and get stuck into it. Nothing like a lockdown to motivate you to escape the madhouse and hide in the shed.

• Like 5

All sorted today. Every function is working as it should, all the gremlins fixed. So satisfied with outcome.

Next I'll bundle up the looms and heat shrink them into logical groups. Then snip them off, rejoining back together with deutsch connectors.

• Like 4

20210829_165112.thumb.jpg.2ac251a8998d6c6fe4409a82fbc49a45.jpg

Starting to take shape.

I cut that plate from 4mm thick steel. I'll weld it under the transmission. It will hold a few items, fuses, relays harness etc. Hopefully mostly out of sight.

Each branch of the loom goes to a different part of the bike. The deutsch connectors are huge and fucking ugly, so these will be hidden under the bike too.

• Like 5