Kimjon's Harley bobber project

Kimjon

5 hours ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Yeah make sure you have some sort of fuse/breaker protection. Don't know if you are running a battery or not but there's a lot of potential for fire there without something to break a fault circuit.

Happy to look over your diagram if you can post it up? Won't be till next week though as still on holiday and will have no reception soon...

Thanks, yes I'll post up diagram. Any advice will be much appreciated thanks.

20210106_135438.thumb.jpg.98f447fcbfd55039ab16345df1cc1b9e.jpg

Part number is 18-533 ultima wiring harness.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Kimjon said:

These were on trademe, nz stock, so should have by Friday? Same price as Aliexpress but $10 freight, so about $60 for 2x sets including freight.

Repco and jaycar were like $30-$70 per fitting and I need 7 plugs, which adds up stupid fast!!

948363622_Screenshot_20210106-134206_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0fddee9c1c693eb5ca52ff66d81fe563.jpg

I found a few other shops selling them for around $30, but nothing really cheap.

The kits I brought were $25 per kit, and include about 20 random fittings per kit.

Considering I'm not working to NASA tolerances, I think these cheap plugs will be fine. I'll just try them and see.

thats crazy money for a DT connector, i can supply the 12 pin for $30ea, (my suppliers RRP is $37) downside is need special crimper for DT pins

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Quick Google search says the Ultima 18-533 has protection built into the circuitry, which you'd expect for the money, but can't guarantee for Merican stuff... :)

Yeah, zero customer service and pretty poor information. I'm not 100% sure what I've got. 

But still believe that this is an easier way to go, given i have nothing to begin with, so I'm kind of painting a picture of something I've never seen if you get what I mean.

I've got all the layout sorted,cknow where each wire goes. Just waiting on parts to arrive. But a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, so very happy to receive any advice or warnings thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kimjon said:

These were on trademe, nz stock, so should have by Friday? Same price as Aliexpress but $10 freight, so about $60 for 2x sets including freight.

Repco and jaycar were like $30-$70 per fitting and I need 7 plugs, which adds up stupid fast!!

948363622_Screenshot_20210106-134206_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0fddee9c1c693eb5ca52ff66d81fe563.jpg

I found a few other shops selling them for around $30, but nothing really cheap.

The kits I brought were $25 per kit, and include about 20 random fittings per kit.

Considering I'm not working to NASA tolerances, I think these cheap plugs will be fine. I'll just try them and see.

Arh i see great option mate, they will be mint then. I've got some ali stuff that's lost in transit!

• Thanks 1

Cunts!!! Fucking America and the god dam imperial system. Turns out m10 is to easy for harley, as unlike the rest of the world they use 3/8-24 banjo pressure switches.

After 30 minutes of Google searches didn't show any hits, I thought fuck it and ordered one from the USA. Should be here in a few weeks 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ignition key:

Resized_20210108_084736.jpeg.f1bd1eb2f8f039619c66d7063e017cef.jpeg

Resized_20210108_084810.thumb.jpeg.9686c7de37125cf0145658939c3e4e28.jpeg

The battery needs room, so I chose a spot "outside" that area. Obviously the oil tank side was a no go.

Resized_20210108_090726.jpeg.25bb7ab4dd8fc9cf0111da00ca55b309.jpeg

Marking out the edges of the battery box compartment, plus clearance around the rubber cotton reel mounts.

Resized_20210108_092646.thumb.jpeg.8857444760b2033d527f25457adee927.jpeg

Full send, first drilling a 14mm hole with step drill, then a ton of dremel work to create the right flat sided shape, to prevent the key twisting the barrel.

Resized_20210108_093348.thumb.jpeg.f53f26f41e86a94896cab6062a01a276.jpeg

I cut this cotton reel down, test fit, needs another 2mm off it.

20210108_100932.thumb.jpg.805cbf6266f7b6e6e67d66db90596728.jpg

This double seam interfered with the nut, since interfering with little nuts should be left to scout leaders and catholic priests...I quickly remedied this terrible situation.

Resized_20210108_094853.thumb.jpeg.0a99e8dc19abee7e83633721f30d14b5.jpeg

Quick spray of "chrome" paint to stop rust. This is unseen, but still good to do for longevity reasons.

All done, might watch the paint dry all day for entertainment now???

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up buying proper genuine deutsch connectors at silly money, just because I don't want the electric gremlins sometimes associated with using sub par cheap parts.

#bleedingmoney

#didn'tyhinkiwasbuying sharesinthecompany

#you'refuckingkiddingme

#illpayitoffat$5/weekfor15years

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kimjon said:

So I ended up buying proper genuine deutsch connectors at silly money, just because I don't want the electric gremlins sometimes associated with using sub par cheap parts.

#bleedingmoney

#didn'tyhinkiwasbuying sharesinthecompany

#you'refuckingkiddingme

#illpayitoffat$5/weekfor15years

Rs components?

1 hour ago, rusty360 said:

Arh sweet as, working out exactly what to buy off rs was a bit of a mission anyways, as they don't list them complete  have to nut the male the female  the pins, the sockets and then the pin locks!. They did seem pretty cheap thou.

Yip, I found them on Google and got a bit "con-fussed" by it all. 

Fuse wise, do you think I need to add some in? My gut is saying yes, but unsure how to approach it.

On 17/01/2021 at 22:03, Kimjon said:

Yip, I found them on Google and got a bit "con-fussed" by it all. 

Fuse wise, do you think I need to add some in? My gut is saying yes, but unsure how to approach it.

Hey mate, I'm not a pro wire guy just a back yard basher but yes  would definitely add some fuses in. @Lord Gruntfuttock sounds like he's a wiring guru.

They make some really nice little fuse blocks now. Reading above sounds like ya loom is already fused?

43 minutes ago, rusty360 said:

Surely there's some fuses in the relay box? Or is it sealed?

Thanks mate. Its sealed, so I'm unsure about fuses or not? Also if there were fuses - I'm even more unsure what you do if one does blow, as its sealed.

Kind of regretting buying this module now, as other choices may have been better. Benefits of hindsight.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2021 at 08:02, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Yeah make sure you have some sort of fuse/breaker protection. Don't know if you are running a battery or not but there's a lot of potential for fire there without something to break a fault circuit.

Happy to look over your diagram if you can post it up? Won't be till next week though as still on holiday and will have no reception soon...

Hey man, what's your thoughts on fuses etc for this unit? I'm not 100% its got them inside it or not? 

Im a retard for all things electric...