Kimjon's Harley bobber project

Kimjon

Okay, Longshot...but does anyone on here know what these 2 wires are for?

20210101_113748.thumb.jpg.81b65ebdadd13d187e68284ffd706255.jpg

54ff5985-1f02-46a2-9f7f-f66ffc6d4925.thumb.jpg.0c70caadab8b5418ad7e788f4fc0310f.jpg

Im at a bit of a loss? Maybe a clutch switch so you can't start it without clutch in?

My clutch lever has no switch on it and it's a factory part off a harley. Maybe a model without this feature? Fucked if I know?

Help???? Anyone????

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, tortron said:

yes that goes on a clutch switch (which are identical to a brake lever switch just a mirror image)

your lever mount may have a little nub and a threadded hole underneath it. but why would you want a clutch starter lock out, worse than a sidestand switch

Excellent, thank you.

I can't see anything on my clutch control lever. The brake one is obvious, but nothing here?

I'll delete it.

Screenshot_20210102-162222_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.3212eebb5202939523922af06cb02e2b.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-162223_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.ac849d4e34cd4dc1e6d1690d012ef389.jpg

Yip, thats how I was feeling as I figured out that a lot the wires are spliced and share common power/earths etc. But by testing the resistance (ohms) through each circuit using a multimeter, i got there in the end. Pretty common shit I guess...but for an electrically retarded person like myself, self teaching as I go along, its a lot of condensed learning to fit into my already closed mind.

20210102_161656.thumb.jpg.bc37fd5f8c51527d84affa32c2f6faa5.jpg

That said, I'm there now. Each wire labeled and each corresponding circuit tested and working via its switch.

so I'm now ready to buy expensive tools to strip and crimp the wires and then try installing OEM style connectors, yet another thing I've never done...but will soon have to figure out quick smart If I want it to work.

• Like 8

Okay, neither maths nor English are my strongest attributes. However there are 48 wires that need a connection block, required to make this wiring loom work.

20210105_112622.thumb.jpg.aae360355c571ce8bddd1c1080a69fd9.jpg

There's an additional half dozen that need an eye terminal for things like battery, coils, starter motor, horn etc.

So when you buy a "complete  kit" that has in excess of 50 wires and that kit only has enough connectors to do 22 wires, it leaves you scratching your head wondering if the difference between American English and the Queens English we use in NZ is really that far apart?

FFS this kit has 50+ wires, but only 22 connectors!!! WTF. This is a carburetored engine, no ECU or injectors, sensors to consider, its as basic as it gets. A handful of their shitty connectors would have gone a long way towards finishing this today.

So off to jaycar with my crippled arse I go again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raizer said:

I've used those plugs on a few scooters, they work well!
Just don't over squish the crimps

Awesome, good advice thanks.

Its not like I'll take it out in the rain, so I could pretty much twist the wires together and wrap in tape and it'd be fine hahaha 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

You do have a fuse block yeah...?

Not yet. I'm unsure if my relay box has built in fuses, information is sketchy at best. The wiring diagram doesn't show any additional fuses. I was going to put some in to cover the main parts. More reading I guess on Google??

Yeah make sure you have some sort of fuse/breaker protection. Don't know if you are running a battery or not but there's a lot of potential for fire there without something to break a fault circuit.

Happy to look over your diagram if you can post it up? Won't be till next week though as still on holiday and will have no reception soon...

14 hours ago, Kimjon said:

Ordered 2 of these kits. Should get it done.

453273953_Screenshot_20210105-175535_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.bb0cf8569e778727d2b18b7ca3451be3.jpg

Works out much cheaper than paying $30 a fitting at jaycar or repco etc. 

From ali? Rs components do a massive range of plugs and sockets if ya don't wana wait, they ship overnight from oz

5 hours ago, rusty360 said:

From ali? Rs components do a massive range of plugs and sockets if ya don't wana wait, they ship overnight from oz

These were on trademe, nz stock, so should have by Friday? Same price as Aliexpress but $10 freight, so about $60 for 2x sets including freight.

Repco and jaycar were like $30-$70 per fitting and I need 7 plugs, which adds up stupid fast!!

948363622_Screenshot_20210106-134206_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0fddee9c1c693eb5ca52ff66d81fe563.jpg

I found a few other shops selling them for around $30, but nothing really cheap.

The kits I brought were $25 per kit, and include about 20 random fittings per kit.

Considering I'm not working to NASA tolerances, I think these cheap plugs will be fine. I'll just try them and see.