• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 09:15, Muncie said:

Where'd you get your cvt from? Need something similar for my gx610 that hopefully won't cost me a few limbs.

Trademe. I looked at eBay, but it wasn't any cheaper. 

I'll use it on other projects too, so I kind of justify its cost to myself that way...But I did feel the pain when paying for it.

• 1 month later...

Looked at the calender and had one of those "oh fuck!" realisations that I'm quickly running out of time. I squeezed in the finishing touches (totally untested) and started stripping it down.

Finished the hard to reach welds that were underneath stuff:

IMG_20171105_114838.thumb.jpg.f3ac792a546b42fa68356933f3c3d474.jpg

Then stripped the frame

IMG_20171105_144100.thumb.jpg.33c881680149beaf65e147367f61df3c.jpg

I'm about to have a cup of tea like they would in "Project Binky" then attack the frame with a wire wheel. Hopefully get some kind off paint on it this week and put it back together next weekend?

• Like 1

Got the paint on last night. I figure I may as well experiment with it, so here it is:

IMG_20171108_152036.thumb.jpg.a9fbb748d46b0fa16e6cb4fce3582038.jpg

Yip, clear. The sexy bear metal looks so good (well to me anyway), I thought why hide it under coloured paint? 

I used por15 and although not uv resistant, realistically its not going to see much time outside...so it should be fine? This is part of my experimenting, as I'm curious in how long it will last? Worst case, I'll sandblast it off and paint it boring black if the clear doesn't work.

Assembly in the weekend.

• Like 4

I've had it up and down the road a few times now...goes good! Still has more in it, as the tune isn't perfect yet (far from) and a bigger carburetor would be ideal...but I'm smiling :-).

I even had time to tie and solder the spokes (a bit rough)

IMG_20171111_181017.thumb.jpg.a0305396c3b88d631f73ff21eb428206.jpg

And make a safety guard for the cvt driven pulley, just in case it brakes free of the motor.

IMG_20171111_180933.thumb.jpg.d37d192f58f01f9fc19a82056be0904a.jpg

That should do it for now.

• Like 4

awesome man, whats the speed like? From memory, when I had it as a 2 speed setup, I got it up to around 65-70kph

how is the engine running with the new carb? It should rev to about 9000rpm. When I first had it, it would get up there, but as things broke it started to have a break down in ignition

9 hours ago, peteretep said:

awesome man, whats the speed like? From memory, when I had it as a 2 speed setup, I got it up to around 65-70kph

how is the engine running with the new carb? It should rev to about 9000rpm. When I first had it, it would get up there, but as things broke it started to have a break down in ignition

Hi Pete

Glad you like it, as I felt bad cutting it up to begin with, but I had a vision (and an angle grinder plus welder :-) ).

I've had it up to 70kph, but it hits the wall about there and won't go any faster.

The carb is running super rich, and I'm going to have to double check revs, but my tacho says I'm only getting 3500 under load (its possible im on wrong setting, but don't think so???, well that's if the Chinese to English translation is correct in the manual???).

My gearing is much taller than yours was, so I think it's a combination of high gears and bad tuning...but fuck it, going to run it like that and worry about fixing issues another day.

Cheers

Kim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, you've probably seen this link...but just in case:

It sat in the corner (to borrow my best friends quote) next to the electronic keyboard and the karate suit for a while. Then one morning I woke up and thought fuck it - and rode it down the road about 3km and back. Man it was fun, such a unique ride, so much fun with smiles from ear to ear and average speed of 75kph.

Since then I've ordered a much bigger Miukni carburetor off eBay, waiting on delivery, should be an improvement :-)

Kj

• Like 5

haha ideal!  in the process of re-carbing my 2strokes i was told to keep the runner as short as possible/close to factory length. have also had success with carbs designed for bikes, but not much bigger than factory throat, if at all. have had fails with excessively increased throat size.

• Thanks 1