Kimjon's resurrection of Pete's wajax velo bike

Kimjon

Forget world peace, solving the famines in Africa, and whatever bullshit woman say about how difficult child birth is...this my dear friends has to be the most difficult problem the world has faced!

IMG_20170611_104154_zpsq8mtxgc1.jpg

No...not that

IMG_20170611_104205_zps8a3xjti9.jpg

No that was easy, just slap it in the mill

IMG_20170611_104214_zpsigyg9s9y.jpg

Bingo! Yup, an innocent looking little pull start. But it's not innocent, Satan had a lead role designing this system in the 1940's when he realised humans were getting tired of killing each other in WW2... so he cursed the world with this pull start mechanism, and the suffering continues to this day!

8 hours spent on this over two days trying to figure out how the fuck this pull start works!!!! 8 Fucking hours!!!! But it now works, and I'm exhausted...my brain hurts, my fingers are bleeding and I'm covered in carcinogenic grease from 1943 when this was last assembled. 8 hours!!!!

• Like 9

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good 

the motorcycle Barry in me says that's a leaf sprung leading link fork you are building not a girder fork (girders have linkages at top not bottom) 

but it does look evil and dangerous so big thumbs up 

• Like 4

Brought two cool new tools this week to use.

1) step drill set

IMG_20170616_164256_zpsytqwmdkl.jpg

IMG_20170616_170300_zpsjy0zf7jg.jpg

Which did an amazing job cutting a perfect hole to fit this volt meter in. I feel stupid for not previously owning one, as I now appreciate just how good they are.

The second tool is a compact bender. I'm feverishly googling and YouTube-ing up a storm on how to set-up and use one, as I've never used one before. Looks easy, so once I get it bolted down I'll put it to use tomorrow.

• Like 1

Got up early, excited like a little kid on Christmas.

Last night I was faced with the dilemma of where I was going to mount the compact bender. But in the early hours of the morning I had my epiphany!

IMG_20170617_100823_zpsd3deafrw.jpg

If I mount it with (4x) 16mm dynabolts, into the concrete floor it's going nowhere. And if positioned just out from a door pillar, I can get the full 270° of articulation when both doors are up. The arm can come off and hang on the machine, completely tucked out of the way...and it's in what I would call dead space in my shed i.e. a space that has no other use...win, win...win!

IMG_20170617_101740_zpsi8lcbniu.jpg

It handled the 16mm cold rolled solid rod with relative ease, producing a perfect bend on my first attempt! Fuck yeah...love this tool!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 98cc said:

Choice! is the engine ready to run now KimJon?

Ummm kind of. It's complete, but no spark yet. I've brought a couple coils and will hook those to a battery to bypass the magneto. Pete ran it like this, so I should be able to replicate his method.

Engine will be next move, and the work back from there to finish.

Got a bit done on the pivots this afternoon. Needs more work, but I have some ideas to improve it like turning up some more plain bearings etc

First step was to fill up the original fork holes with the "hot metal glue gun", then Linisher to bring back to flat again.

IMG_20170623_154301_zps60subizo.jpg

Then I started the pivots

IMG_20170623_144148_zpsh0kam9e3.jpg

IMG_20170623_150711_zps3rfbqsqh.jpg

IMG_20170623_172946_zpssutp4rly.jpg

Plain bearings and split pins will be added later, plus tidy it up.

• Like 1

Logic tells me that this should work, but part of brain is not convinced?

IMG_20170624_124957_zpsrzhxf6nf.jpg

Logically, the geometry of the caliper is pivoting around the wheel centre as everything is on a fixed radius. So it shouldn't ever bind...well I think that's right?

It's a bit of a mind fuck, as the wheel moves twice what the leaf spring does. But I'm sure this caliper is neural??? Ahhhh...hope I'm right???

Other than being crippled by uncertainty, I'm pretty happy with the overall concept. A disc braked leaf spring front end on a velobike.

Everything will get a tidy up later, but time to move on to the next challenge.

• Like 1

Just now, Mof said:

Looks good to me. 

Do you have a dropout in the bottom of the arm? Can you get the wheel off with the brake underneath like that? 

Haha...it's like you were there, I went to take it apart and thought "dam it!". But if I loosen everything I can (only just) squeeze the wheel out. For now I'll just leave it as a hole. Can always mill it out later if need be.

48 minutes ago, Transom said:

Front brake with linkage like that should cause brake force to make the front end rise = anti dive braking system 

Is that good or bad? (Just googled answer...cheers)

Just did a quick test to check that caliper geometry is right, 

Success!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kimjon said:

St Is that good or bad? (Just googled answer...cheers)

Just did a quick test to check that caliper geometry is right, 

Success!

Yes anti dive is a known good feature of leading link forks  

when I have been setting up bike calipers onto odd thing I set the caliper onto the disc in the right place for pad contact up/down with the adapter attached then rubber band the brake lever to hold it all in place then rotate disc to wherever the adapter is gonna attach

always make sure the disc clears the top of the pad 

6 minutes ago, Transom said:

Yes anti dive is a known good feature of leading link forks  

when I have been setting up bike calipers onto odd thing I set the caliper onto the disc in the right place for pad contact up/down with the adapter attached then rubber band the brake lever to hold it all in place then rotate disc to wherever the adapter is gonna attach

always make sure the disc clears the top of the pad 

Cool, in a roundabout way that's how I did it. I used a couple cardboard shims each side of the rotor and wound in the adjustment screws on the caliper in until it gripped the rotor, then I tacked it in place.