Jaycar speedo corrector

tortron

I ordered one of these the other day and installed it as per the instruction sheet (power, ground, sensor in, sensor out)

you are supposed to set it to an auto mode so it will figure out what signal it is receiving, at which point the led will blink and you can calibrate the change

no workey

I had a closer look at the unit and noticed that the input and output wires are reversed on the unit when compared to the instructions/diagram

so I took it back and got another, assuming that I had fried it

set it up today and still nothing, are they all just duds?

the older self assembled kit works, as theres people using them in vn commodores, so I should think that there would be no difference.

I thought perhaps the led is a dud, so I checked that separately and it lights up, I also tried every possible setting and cant get it to indicate that it is receiving a signal.

no mode results in the speedo moving.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm getting power coming from the speedo, which I assume is being switched to earth by the speed sensor. Possibly they changed the schematic to expect it to work in reverse (idk id imagine they way holden did it is pretty normal). 3 wire hall effect speed sensor

anyway

am I missing something obvious, apart from jaycar stuff being junk, and that I should get a different unit?

any recommendations on a speedo corrector that actually works? I have heard recommendations from Dakota digital, and yellr

Yeah it and the speedo have been sorted and work as they should (apart from being 25% out)

I have a digital multimeter and an old bulb test lamp

Ign power is getting to the unit, and there's power going to ground

There's power from the speedo, but approx 0.2v coming out at the speed sensor side of the corrector. The voltage does not change with wheel speed

• Like 1

going to return this unit, these pre assembled ones obviously don't work, the misprinted instruction sheet shows how good their QC is. truly disappointing that people pump out worthless shit knowing that it doesn't do the job

going to order a yellr yellow box, its $100 more, but its aussie made, with a 10 year warranty, and they offer plug and play looms

theres plenty of schematics out there to make one cheaper, I found one using an Arduino in an older porche

• Like 1

I had a look at the online destructions for that jaycar unit and I wonder if its unhappy as the gearbag sensor (I think is) 12v instead of 5

I probably have the schematic for the kitset one in a book somewhere if you wanted to try it that way - can just barry it onto strip board and try it out?

Just had a look and it needs the micro etc etc so too hard.

There isnt a option for a different speedo gear is there? I seem to recall there being a few options for a aussie barge of some description a while ago

• Like 1

theres 8v at the speedo which is what the sensor is seeing, commodore blokes had the previous self assembled kits working without modification

I believe you can get some yank gearbox gears for the 700 trans, but I couldn't confirm if anyone had actually done that (plus il want to swap the diff head in the future)

Im interested in finding something that works. My speedo reads about 10% fast.  It cant be that tricky to make something that slows the pulses down to whatever you need the speedo to see? But I aint a techy geek so its beyond me. Spending $100 on something is beyond me too..

Calling all Neds.. calling all Neds. We need your help....

• 1 month later...

So my yellow box showed up last week

As I already had the required wires out and ready from the jaycar unit it only took about 10min to install.

Just wires up inline with the 3 wires to the speed sensor.

2 buttons and 2 LEDs let you set it up and check it's working and the ratio used.

Has a few useful modes like a test mode so you can use increasing frequencies to test if your speedo is linerally accurate, and has a top speed playback.

Worked right away, feels nice in the hand, is totally sealed and I think trying to open it would wreck it, but it has a 10 year warranty and is made to be waterproof (tho I tucked mine in the shifter housing thing, and left the cable long so it's easy to adjust in the future)

Also comes with a jumper to disconnect the yellow box and run the speedo as normal (I think for if you regularly swap to off-road tyres/track tyres or swap between mph and kph)

Pretty impressed, great customer service so far, nicely made and good instructions, plus made in Aussie but don't let that put you off

Price wise I think it's more than worth it for having something that actually works out of the box

• Like 2

On 19/03/2017 at 20:18, yoeddynz said:

Im interested in finding something that works. My speedo reads about 10% fast.  It cant be that tricky to make something that slows the pulses down to whatever you need the speedo to see? But I aint a techy geek so its beyond me. Spending $100 on something is beyond me too..

Calling all Neds.. calling all Neds. We need your help....

Have you checked your speedo for trim pots? I also found some information around modifying speedos that way or by banging in some resistors but wasn't applicable for mine

• 1 year later...