Help me choose a fuel pump

Shakotom

I have done some googling and searching on this forum and have managed to confuse myself regarding which fuel pump to purchase.

so here's my issue.

I have a dead fuel pump in my car that is a STOCK rb30e, I have intentions on potentially turboing it in the future (no exact time frame) and aiming for 250kw to start with and I don't really want to have to purchase pumps twice. But I'd like to get it up and running ASAP (read before the end of this month) in stock form so I can drive it while I piece together the rest of the bits.

factory VLs use a Bosch 070 and fuel pressure is 40psi

Bosch 070 Flow rate of 130 litres/hour at 3 Bar (43 PSI) (300hp)

I've heard that the Mecca of all fuel pumps is the Bosch 044 200lph @73psi (650hp)

or I've just found on the internet a Walbro GLS392 flow rate of 255lph @40psi (500hp)

Now here's where I've started to over think and confuse myself as I have low first hand experience when it comes to modifying fuel systems on fuel injected cars

I understand that fuel pumps can deliver more and less psi than rating. And volume to an extent can change from fuel line sizing? 

If I run the 044 It'll probably end up blowing past my fuel pressure reg and be dumping 30psi of fuel back to the tank all the time and I'll probably have overfuelling issues until I change further components.

And now my brain hurts/I can't even type what I'm thinking out.

Cam someone explain to me how I should go about selecting a fuel pump for my application?

or just tell me what to do?

im guessing the 044 is overkill?

is there a point of running a 70psi pump?

would the walbro be a better choice?

should I just give up and leave it stock?

stay tuned for the next episode where shakotom gives up and leaves it in the shed for another year....

china 044,/walbro/deatshwerks/bosch 040 etc. all of them will do the job don't worry about too much fuel that would not be an issue with any of these - main thing as al says is finding one that is a direct fit. I would be surprised if you couldn't find that out with a quick search on some aussie vl forums to find out what P/N walbro bosch or china special will do the trick nicely.

• Like 3

A single walbro should supply more than enough for 250kw in the future.

That or Bosch, no need to change other components. FPR should hold the fuel pressure the same as with your factory pump.

Pretty much +1 to what testament said

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 14:14, mjrstar said:

don't get an 044 i have one in my falcon and shit it's LOUD, i have 3 cars running walbro's in a similar power range to what you are talking and have not had any problems. the one in my evo would be ~10 years old now.

The thing with the old 044 is they are still one of the best when it comes to really high boost levels, pretty well most of the newer and cheaper pumps drop off flow a lot more as the 044 will keep chugging away without dropping much flow rate at 100psi which is great if you are running 58psi fuel pressure and 40psi of boost or using fuel supply lines of marginal sizes and having significant pressure drop from the pump outlet to the fuel rail.

horses for courses etc. but the walbro should be totally fine in this case

• Like 1

^^ for sure in a track weapon run an 044 or two. My mate runs a pair on his 500+ kw supra. They are a good pump- if they were shithouse i wouldn't have one.

But for a road car( even my turbocoon running 20+psi ) there are pumps that are easier to live with..

• Like 1