Tumeke's 2.5 PI Trumpet

Tumeke

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - that's how we did it - but a screwdriver as I had no straw..... 

If memory serves me correct we lined this all up, but then to start the thing I have to advance the dizzy like 30 degrees. It then only runs on three cylinders suggesting the timing for the injector pump is well out as it is getting spark. @Threeonthetree memory is possibly better than mine?

It probably won't make a massive difference at the injector timing tbh. Think of all the batch fired injected cars. The charge will just sit in the port till its ready. Which is fuck all time. (300ms at idle if my calcs are correct).

Definitely something wack with your timing. Maybe even your cam timing is off?

Also, there is a little stub that sits down the dizzy hole that drives the dizzy/PI pump in the PI cars. Check that this is in and timed correctly if your crank pulley is correct.

Also also, do a compression test to check if the motor is actually legit. And Yeah, as handsome Blizzo said, any air in PI lines will stop it from working peoperly. The injectors need over 100PSI to open and squirt properly. So if there is air trapped, it will be absorbing precious PSI, so will be running lean. Weeping injectors also won't help.

Does it have a rev counter?

This can give you a good indication of whether the problem is ignition hardware related instead of ignition timing.

A rev counter which jumps around instead of holding a steady value (within reason, ie it has to match what you can hear the engine doing) indicates that the distributor is providing a noisy signal to the coil. This could be either bad points/condenser or a dirty/bad/misaligned pickup module.

Have you checked and adjusted the gaps on each spark plug?

• Like 1

i think you will find is that the rubber piece on the crank pulley  has broken away and has slipped causing your timing backshit out.

I wouldnt imagine it being too hard sourcing one for this either  

happens from time to time on Japanese cars  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Mr Vapour said:

pop over and bring your extra 4 sets of plugs. 

We will give them a clean up in the blaster, get them super clean. 

Shit yes. Awesome. Planning on using your services a fair bit once she's running - seen what you can do with throttle bodies - awesome result. The whole engine bay looks like the Exxon Valdez used it as a port for a while .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tumeke said:

Shit yes. Awesome. Planning on using your services a fair bit once she's running - seen what you can do with throttle bodies - awesome result. The whole engine bay looks like the Exxon Valdez used it as a port for a while .

As long as she didn't have the Torrey Canyon and the Amoco Cadiz travelling in company.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ive got a phone book size Pi tr6 injection manual somewhere that the BL geezers used at the service centers. Will have a look for it.

The previous owner hooked a decent 2nd gear peel outside my house in this i sold him a efi manifold i had on mine and a few other bits and pieces.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...