Cletus' '68 Plymouth post car

RUNAMUCK

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/05/2022 at 13:00, cletus said:

Yeah that's a good idea, I might look at sealing around it, I made a panel on the VG to stop air escaping over the top for similar reasons  

All I could think of is the air going around the radiator instead of going into it. I know a fan can suck a lot of air but by blocking the sides off you force the air to be directed into the radiator.

These parts circled below.

Screenshot_20220715-011959_Chrome.jpg.4fcbb27c46ec93907950a073dde32fab.jpg

If you have a shroud may pay to put some holes in it with rubber flaps that could open at max speed to allow more air flow throu it as well.

• Like 1

Have you actually taken a radiator temperature? If the radiator isn't scorching hot then airflow isn't the issue. 

Mates old lotus 7 replica thing had hot engine, but you could touch the radiator, so was clearly a coolant flow issue not an air flow issue. 

• Like 3

Bit of a ling'er, but the rad I had made for my ute is a cross flow. I had the guy fit two baffles to the tanks to effectively make it a triple pass. I didnt like that the hot water could effectively go straight to the top of the inlet side tank, and then across the top part of the rad only. 

More of a just here to look at the pics project browser, but I have to ask so I can stop wondering. Timing is all smick yeah and not contributing to the heat issues? Someone may have already asked / I missed you say it is. 

Sweet build though, so clean!

Sweet job Clint.

I couldn't keep my big block cool in summer, had electric fans, then OG 4 blade that was better. The fix in the end was a FlowKooler waterpump from Summit and a FlowKooler Robertshaw thermostat.  Milodon do a cheaper copy of the heavy duty type thermostat ( like a sleeve valve, not poppet) but it lasted 2 drives before jamming shut. The FlowKooler stuff is legit and far cheaper than reworking radiators etc if the airflow side is OK.  Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1