Jakes LS400 of the suzuki kind

jakesae101

So had a hankering lately of buying another bike as now they have put a time limit on licenses I thought I should look at getting my full. Anyway mostly uninspiring bikes turned up and they fetch quite good money still, always wanted a LS650 or S40 but you have to pay the high rego costs and its still slow for a 650. cue this thing popping up on the tard it's a bit rough around the edges but is a strong runner and has been repainted at some point.

F9B8149B-841B-4B20-896B-760417E9DD13_zps

The day before I was heading up to test ride and purchase I noticed a cycleworks pipe that would fit and asked the seller if he would do a buy now and he agreed , I went there first he was a bit of a LS barry and had seen the bike and exclaimed it was the worst that he has seen! Overall the bike isnt too bad but it needs alot of polishing of the brightwork and a few bits tidied up one thing that happened on the ride home was one of the forks seals started leaking but they pumped out quite a bit of dirt so im going to clean the seals out and see how it goes.

01D4B999-7477-42C4-B3D6-F7194C3F1EF6_zps

Also the speedo is hilariously out its at 85 on the speedo its doing 100 so might need to look at that but for now i'm unsure what im going to do with it other than ride it , The seat is quite uncomfortable and slopes down at the front too far this is a common complaint and most people fit the later S40 one piece seat or space up the front of the riders seat so im going to space it up and see how I go. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have started tidying up a few bits fitted exhaust it the old one was fused to the pipe it broke at the weld then i cut through the remainder and cold chiseled it off. The old pipe also was quite rusty and someone had attacked it with a flapper wheel and it was starting to rust so I put some lava wrap on it  seems to run sweet with the new pipe but having a few carb issues ( leaking out the overflow and sputtering last week when riding but would clear) and my fork seal is still leaking so it will have a visit to the shop soon. Biggest improvement has to be the seat it is a brand new s40 1 piece seat I got from colemans suzuki for 100$ as they had had it for ages in stock and wanted to sell it makes a massive difference in riding position and is much more comfortable as the old seat was pretty saggy.

E586F876-4E73-4512-AF4E-D4E45AB2E5AC_zps

916CF166-2AF0-4266-AD26-1D3BD069ABFF_zps

• 2 weeks later...

So today I set out to do an oil and filter change as through the sight glass it looked extremely black and overfull, Now the overfull could be to do with what I suspect is a failing vacuum fuel tap and when I drained the oil not only was it the same colour as my drain pan it smelt of gas.

it took me a good portion of the day to get the drain plug out as someone had stripped the head and overtightened it unfortunately its location prevents a 6 point socket from being used, I tried everything from a normal spanner , flare nut spanner to vice grips and a cold chisel in the end I drilled through it and put a allen key through it with a spanner for leverage. Even with this it slightly bent a 5mm allen key just shows how tight it was on! My new manual fuel tap is in auckland so should have it this week to fit before it gets its fork seals replaced and the carb looked at on wednesday.

65C54121-82AD-4393-BD43-FF5760038757_zps

37355032-C1D8-47B0-A5EA-A74154F07412_zps

Fitted this bad boy today anyone that has a ls400,650 or s40 should do this only 50$ landed from amazon . Turns out my tap wasnt even working on the prime function ether so that would explain no difference when I put it on prime. Seems to run better at idle will take it for a ride tomorrow.

8D5364DD-E593-46F6-B2E4-E760A8A8F114_zps

• Like 1

yea they are not up power wise with a sports bike 250 they make the same power as a vl250 cruiser, Ive had 250 2 smokers etc before. I only really use this to commute has a bit more power with the aftermarket pipe according to the bum dyno but it rode really easy on the motorway when I brought it back. I have seen a purple one this one originally was blue before it was repainted charcoal. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the shop replaced the spark plug and had it running mint they advised to change the air filter as it was extremely dirty and they were right. they also tried to fettle with the carb mixture screw but it is seized. now after changing what must have been a very clogged filter it was running lean with the new exhaust was getting a backfires ect and would stutter revving. Now my exhaust came with a ls650 jet kit so i thought id try the smallest one  now it has factory a 125 main jet I swapped in a dynojet 138 main jet that may seem like a massive leap but a 138 dynojet jet = a 130 mikuni main jet and now its running mint ive tried everything to free the mixture screw but alas nothing has worked so il have to come up with something cunning but for right now its running mint. 

• Like 1