Adoom

Adoom's 1976 Triumph 2500 TC

48 posts in this topic

Before I did that, I removed the underseal used as seam sealer, so I could located the spot welds. Underseal...Dicks. I used petrol, a rag and a 3M paint removal thingy on the drill(on go slow so I didn't spray it everywhere). My choice of solvent was possibly not a fantastic idea cause I had to put all the rags outside and vent the gara...bedroo...kitche...lounge, by opening all the doors for a while, to clear the fumes. 

1 person likes this

IMAG0035.thumb.jpg.0ea33119ba66b1a2cbbee15f202e4405.jpg

Drilled out the spot welds to separate the two parts of the firewall panel. The smaller panel needed to come off for access the weld the bigger one on.

IMAG0037.thumb.jpg.4d7ccfeb3449508b66022d1ef91cacbc.jpg

Removed the remains of the old firewall. And removed the brake, clutch, pedal box and steering column. And scraped some shitty old seam sealer off.

IMAG0040.thumb.jpg.725d85a2d037082223577d15e15554b7.jpg

Removed the battery shelf to make more room. I think I will bare metal the engine bay cause all the paint is fucked, then seam seal all the joins cause most joins are not sealed and the stuff that is is horrible tar stuff.

IMAG0041.thumb.jpg.7fde857f94325f5176100b2ad73c12a0.jpg

Found some more rust after removing the radiator.  

5 people like this

Not loads of progress...

IMAG0047.thumb.jpg.4f3b0f87179d62c9cd1b95c2caaed662.jpg

Took the lights and grill out. Had to drill out some rivets to remove the headlight bowls. Didn't find any rust there!

IMAG0048.thumb.jpg.e120fc17ff4d3827a33d8b2f2f2d9b36.jpg

Used my mallet as a dolly and straightened this flange, just because. Scroll up to see how wobbly it was.

IMAG0050.thumb.jpg.96d7a2ef8951bd5a86d475e5a2fafe3b.jpgIMAG0053.thumb.jpg.6c81743faaa33f64864e152fca7ff5e2.jpgIMAG0055.thumb.jpg.c0ff301cc7b0c1763a5cbe485b7a1068.jpg

Used the flappy sanding wheel on the grinder to remove the old welds. 

I'd like to go nuts in the engine bay with the paint/rust removal abrasive pad on the grinder, but the dust goes everywhere. Maybe I need some drop cloths for my 'kitchen'.

1 person likes this

The paint job on this car really is half arsed. I think the chrome trim was removed, then GLUED back on, but they didn't bother removing the lights or grill.

Last night I started removing the fuel tank and drained it. I removed it the rest of the way tonight. I think I found out why the fuel gauge didn't work. The sender float doesn't.... float, it's half full of fuel. Inside of the tank looks to be surprisingly good. 

I also removed the rear lights and the rear loom. And cleared out all the carpets and stuff that I had just put in the boot.

I really need to start putting metal back into it.... taking parts off to look for rust doesn't feel like progress.

I wanted to remove some of the sound deadening bitumen pads from the floor because it was in the way of welding, it looks really horrible and I was looking for any more rust.

So I bought 5kg of dry ice today and removed ALL of the sound deadening after work. Was 3kg of the stuff. I think It took about 3 hours. Didn't find more rust. There is a mystery tear in the floor, like it was lowered onto something sharp...

I'll clean the remains up with solvent and wirebrushes and paint it with POR15.

There is a really ugly repair to the floor where the handbrake mounts. I want to cut that out and do a tidier job of it.

1 person likes this

Woken up at 1am this morning by my shoulders reminding me about how unfit I am and the 3 hours of work I made them do last night. Fuuuuuu. Took like an hour for the ibuprofen to kick in and I could get back to sleep. 

Removed the rear screen. Found some rust.

IMAG0065.thumb.jpg.fb31d5b884591515efd716b943da0984.jpg

I knew there was something going on under there because where the trailing edge of the parcel tray meets the gutter around the boot, it's just crumbly rust. I thought I'd have to try repair that from underneath... inside the boot. Now I'm just going to cut this whole thing off, repair the parcel tray, then patch these panels and put them back on top.... well that's what I think I can do....

I also removed the roof lining and found a mouse nest!

And some more rust.

IMAG0077.thumb.jpg.dcfca4727e1a4e30e7606f06a8d3eda3.jpg

IMAG0074.thumb.jpg.a2f5ba0f0d79165607962e2a202f2746.jpg

Same place on both sides. Maybe it gets condensation there and it just sits on the panel....

Also removed the front screen. Didn't damage the stainless trim! They used a shitload of mastic. No rust at the front. yay...

1 person likes this

Used a bunch of wax and grease remover and a lot of rags and a little wire toothbrush and cleaned the underseal off around where I need to weld the firewall in.

I thought I might make a little patch for the floor to make me feel like I'd made some progress. But then I realised that I still needed to remove the underseal from the underside of the floor where I need to weld the patch in.

2 people like this