justharrys 1965 pontiac bonneville discussion

JustHarry

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Not ideal but could be far worse. Would be worth measuring the crank properly (micrometer) as assuming it’s not gone oval the standard shells would likely be fine. Damage was probably caused by short-term oil starvation either due to the sludge or slow build of oil pressure after long time standing.

It's strange that only one has picked up. The other 7 are perfectly serviceable. But I'm nervous about reusing them now incase they give trouble

I was going to give it a quick measure up. The crank as far as I'm aware is untouched on the big ends. The 001 shells are common for American v8s to take up slight wear without machining. 

If they're not available. I may just jam standards back in if the clearance isnt to high

3 hours ago, JustHarry said:

It's strange that only one has picked up

Yeah…. Not familiar with this engine, but it certainly can be a thing that one bearing location gets most failures. On the Triumph 6 it’s no 5 big end, on the small Triumph 4-pots it’s no 3 big end. Not obvious (to me) why - guess it’s where the air goes. The line between fail and getting away with it is quite fine.

Well caught anyway and good luck with measuring in parts hunt :)

• 1 year later...
On 20/01/2024 at 19:35, JustHarry said:

I also did the vcc Pomeroy trophy out at ruapuna the other week along with @Sanfiddy and (/insert jareds handle ( /I don't know what he is on here )).   Driving tests included a standing 1/4 mile, a flying 1/4 mile, a braking test, a slalom test, and a 20 minute high speed reliably test on the reace track trying to achieve a set number of laps given from a convoluted handicap formula 

Got taxed pretty heavily due to 6300cc of engine but otherwise made 9th out of 29 in my class .

Managed 115mph at the end of the main straight and with 80s competition brake pads never ran out of stopping power either . Which was a miracle having to stop 4400lbs of car 

FB_IMG_1705036745234.thumb.jpg.c9e4e9b21b56e7d97f676d13bac093f2.jpgFB_IMG_1705011992706.jpg.48e03d1040b51cdbafab6dd135e642ae.jpg

@Out of time 88

bring on the pomeroy next year! 

• Like 1