• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a list

Overhaul brakes( half done)

Repair or replace plastics . (originals are on Quad 1, have starting repairs but might us parts from quad 3 or 4)

Repair or replace side cover( repaired)

Get Battery( have one from 3 to try out)

Front and rear carrier ( repaired and fitted)

Headlights ( done one hopefully fix spare)

Seat ( got a better condition one from 3)

Oil and filter change 

Ride it further than drive way 

Reg it 

Edited by NVMPAJ
Have done a bit on Quad 2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah I've pulled that out and the starter works fine. I believe that the cog that the starter engages onto has its own clutch and its very slow to throw out to engage. So when I hit the starter it free spins for ages then slowly slows down as the starter clutch engages and then eventually the engine turns over.  I'll find a diagram.  Its a bitch to get to as the side cover of the gearbox needs to come off to get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had a plan of stripping down quad 3 and 4  , but first job was installing a pump on my other new project   a spa pool. Note to self when doing a spa pool . Replace o rings !!! Pump is great , controller works , but unions leak . Then I put my back out and so quad work is out . Oh well next weekend I'll have o rings and new filter for the spa to do , and might get started on Quad 3 

• 2 weeks later...

Well removed the muffler from Quad 3 .  .perfect condition . Topped up the flat battery with some acid and charged it up . Surprise its got 12 volts ! So started quad 2  up and went for a quick run ..  Fantastic, just have to get the front brake working better . Then I'll get plastics from 2 ,  3 and 4 fixed up might paint them matt black . . All and all a productive day . on the spa front I replaced the o rings and yay no leaks . Just have to fix the cover up. 

• 1 month later...

Quad 2 has got starting /flooding issues ....so much so that fuel leaks out the exhaust !! . So I've ordered a carb rebuild kit off Ali express to try out . In the meantime the spa pool went great until I noticed the manifold for the jets started leaking ....so  I'll get a new one and install a timer so it's not running in the middle of the night , then will able to have some luxury soon. 

While waiting for the carb rebuild kit to come . I thought I'll strip the carb down . Wouldn't you know it , the adjustable mixture screw was seized ....It wouldn't budge , so I had no choice but to drill it out !! Luckily there is a spring , so when I drilled down to the spring I could extract the offending pieces . l had s spare from and  earlier put the carb back together . Reinstalled and had a go at starting ....away it went haha . Still along way to go but great outcome . 

Well still waiting for the rebuild kit. Had a go today at starting the bugger , only to find the sparkplug was no go ! Robbed the one from Quad 1 to try .....fired first turn ....blood thing , my dad always said you only need fuel and spark boy and you're away . I hope he's not looking down at me laughing . So quad 3 had a good plug so put that in and yay . Tomorrow if she runs good I'll start putting the plastics on .Still need to fix a rear puncture and find some decent tyres  for the other wheels . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All go on the spa .....nothing till today on the quad. Bought a new gel battery on trademe .....gotta love Afterpay!! . Have been rather too busy to tinker on the quads . But the spa is great ! Next job on quad two is to get the brakes finished , l managed to remove the too tight hub nuts on Quad 3 , thanks to a new impact driver . Advice to budding quad wreckers/ builders ....buy an impact tool . 

• 2 months later...