EA Coon running rough

igor

Does one need very small hands for that Valiant? Perhaps I can get the youngest boy to help me. It's time he learnt some mechanical stuff. 

Took the coon for a run this morning and it started up rougher than ever. Was running like a bag of arse. Thought for a moment it was down on four cylinders. Came good though and was running sweet. Fifty miles or so into town with no trouble. Went to Repco for an air filter, which they didn't have, and a bottle of injector cleaner which they had a selection of. Nulon, as recommended by 8ball, on special at two for $25 instead of $19.95 so I got a diesel one for the tractor as well. Tank was under a quarter so gave it a dose and filled up with 95 (98 not available). Got within ten miles of home and it started hesitating a bit but not as bad as before. Leads all look okay, will check plugs when the engine is cold then have a go at the dizzy.

I'm aware that the XR6T is governed so it can't out power the XR8. Wouldn't be good for sales if a six had bigger balls than the V8.  

Drive a typhoon and tell me which has bigger balls....

(And i own a SC 335 GT, so can vouch for it)

The f6 is a beastly animal.

Yeah its why we recommend to run a higher octane fuel with injector cleaner as all the crap mixes with the fuel and makes it a shit concoction until cleaned out. Sometimes a double dose is required (as in do it twice - not 2 bottles at once)

Look into the airflow sensor or map sensor or maf or what ever it is they call it.

It could be stuffed etc or dirty 

The only V8s I have driven were Holdens belonging to my doctor. An '02 Monaro with little more than delivery kms on it so not to be driven hard (1100 rpm at 100 km/hr in sixth gear, torque for Africa, and dangerously quiet with factory mufflers) and a VL Walkinshaw special. Loved the Walky, heavy clutch, clunky race box, lumpy cam and all. Perhaps I just have a thing for dinosaurs.

Have several old dinosaurs myself. 

And a few hot 6's.

Each have there ups n downs.

The downs for a nice v8 is the rego. Constant fuel usage for a tough v8 even when tinkerbell herself is controling the throttle. ....

A hot 6 has an all together different sound. (Specifically the Non turbo ones) at full noise they're an angry sound8ng demonic thing.

The turbo 6s are a nice all rounder.  Usually cheaper insurance. Less juice if your light on throttle. And yet once you get into it all hell breaks loose and enough torque to satisfy any v8 lover.

I will always prefer old school over new though. 

I prefer that when i stand on the accelerater its me who decides when enough is enough, or how much im going to give etc.

New cars have to much computer cutbacks. (Even with traction control off)

The flyby wire on the GT is a pain even if you floor it the computer takes readings from everything  (temp, abs sensors etc etc) and it slows and limits the amount the throttlebody opens. 

Unlike my old school carby engines when the peddle is pushed the cable opens carby obligingly.

• Like 1

Cleaned and re-gapped the spark plugs tonight. Healthy colour but those gaps were enormous. The book says 1-1.1mm, the gaps were all around 1.7mm. Blasted the air filter with compressed air resulting in all manner of filth coming out. Took it for a hurtle up the road and back, resisting the urge to lay some Os on my mate's gravel truck turn around, and now it runs heaps better right across the rev range.

13 minutes ago, igor said:

Has not been overheated and the oil looks clean, not milky like when water gets in it.

Mine was clean oil and not overheated, but had leak into the cylinder. was shit to start and shabby running for a while in the mornings until the water in the cylinder burnt off.

What sorta mileage are you getting? Unrelated, just outta interest. I put a cam in mine that sposedly was gonna help but still only looking at around 350 - 400km a tank if I'm really lucky.

Might check my plug gap based on your experience.

Last rough calculation was 22mpg, got down to 14 mpg a couple of years ago towing a double horse float from 'clutha to Colac Bay and return.

I've had 29 mpg on a long trip out of another one with throttle body injection and 4 speed automatic. Whangarei to Porirua 802 km on 78 litres. What's yours do?

Work mate claims to get fairly consistent 25 mpg from XD sedan with 302 and auto.

Mpg isnt always a good indication of running well.

Had an old codger once come in for a service and tune on his old statesman

Said all was well but figured its done him well and it deserved a bday.

So new oil, air cleaner, plugs etc etc.

Then threw the sniffer up the tailpipe etc and hooked up timing light etc etc. 

Man this thing was lean as. If you drove it as he did it was possibly ok.

But if you ever went to tow with it or heaven forbid open the throttle past 1/4 it would pop n fart etc and wouldn't rev.

It would probably do a few valves etc and hole the piston if you tried to hild it too long.

So we tell the old guy and hes like.

- oh yeah for sure make her happy.

So we tune it and get it running sweet as.

A few big revs and test drives etc to clear the crap out the exhaust  (was like spy car smoke screens) and she definitely was happy.

3 days latter the old guy comes in unhappy.

Apparently its now drinking like a sailor on shore leave....

So we check it out and mixtures are perfect and no fuel leaks.

Off he goes again

This happens 2 more times til we sit down and chat.

We agree to "fix" his fuel economy but we wont warranty it because its way to lean. He's happy because he just puts around in it.

So note goes in file not to touch fuel mixtures etc and never open throttle etc on test drives.

We saw the car regularly for 7 more years before he lost his license due to being 92 and half blind.

Moral of yarn, awesome economy. Shit drivability.

• Like 4