EA Coon running rough

igor

Calling all the Falcon gurus out there. My 3.9 MPI coon is hesitating a bit sometimes like it's sucked some crap into the fuel system and it feels down on power slightly. Seems to come good at high revs. Is not overheating at all. I've had it three years and never run it right out of petrol. Low kms on the clock (not long clicked over 278,000). If it had a carby like the old ones I'd be confident to clean it out but never had anything to do with injection. All pertinent advice most welcome.

You believe the problem is electrical? Could well be. Probably should look at the dizzy cap first then? See if the contacts are eroded to nothing. That was the main problem when my XC started running on four cylinders. That and a couple of cracked spark plugs but the cracked plugs weren't always the ones not firing. 

What's the go with unclaimed impounds? Do they usually get tendered or is it considered not worth the hassle for shitters?

From memory the dizzy is right under the intake and not the easiest to reach.

So is the coil. So they're two things that are rarely touched.

Have you tried some injector cleaner through it? Can sometimes help. Especially with good quality fuel like 98 octane for a few tanks.

Think they also had issues with air flow sensor from memory and coolant temp sensors.

Been a while since i played with one.

It's always idled a bit high but it never bothered me. Not always evenly though. Sometimes idle speed will rise a bit just randomly for a while. I've always run 91 octane same as in my carby and throttle body injected coons. Serial coon driver since 2000. This is my fourth one and the others all ran sweet on 91.

Just had a look at this while the weather was good. What stupid bastard designs a thing with the dizzy hidden so far up under the manifold that you can't even see both cap retaining clips much less reach them? Far worse than putting the alternator directly under the power steering pump so it can fill up with leaked oil and fuck itself. Air filter looks disgusting so that'll get replaced first then a dose of injector cleaner. Anyone recommend a good product for this please?

Nulon or valvoline injector cleaner is always in cupboard at work.

So one of those 2. throw it in with 98 octane fuel.

As said above spray some start ya bastard or such around the intake to head gasket area and listen for changes in engine conditions  (may stall even if bad)

I cant recall exactly but didn't these have a bad issue with air flow sensors etc??

Get real dirty etc and tun like a bag of cats? 

Hahaha yes the dizzy location is a nice touch lol.

Just be lucky its not a dick Johnson special with a turbo hanging off the side ...

Cant see or reach squat thanks to the intake pipes etc.

Heater works fine UJ but will check hoses anyway.

Thanks for that 8ball. Will try that. Can't get 98 around here though. How much difference does it make?

Totally unkeen to take the manifold off to reach the dizzy. This is why I love old pushrod dinosaurs with a carby.

We just found as the fuel system "de-gummed" itself the quality of the fuel degraded (obviously ) and could cause other issues.

So running a better fuel assisted this.

Also by just running 98 for 2 or 3 tanks every few months can have a similar effect as injector cleaner (once the fuel system is cleaned up)

** by no means is injector cleaner a substitute for actual cleaning and testing of injectors.

Also i advisea fuel filter swap. Usually after the cleaner or any crap in the tank will just dislodge and gunk up the new filter.

If you're pedantic you could do a new filter drop in the cleaner and then replace it again after.

Some people believe that the cleaner can dislodge crap from a semi blocked filter and allow it to find its way to injectors etc.  ?

Sounds like a huge fuck around to do the conversion but it is an interesting thought. Surprised it is popular enough for a conversion kit to be made. As it happens I have two throttle body injected EAs and an XC here. What're the odds the XC carby will fit on the EA manifold without mods? 

Is the conversion for speedway/stockcars?

Yeah they used them for speedway.

A barra..... he doesn't want to pull intake off and you sugest a barra conversion lol.

Now that's a lot of work. .. want to be pretty attatched to the ea etc. Easier to just grab a ba/bf etc lol

My boss and his dad tried a BA when they first came out and reckoned it was too tight across the shoulders. They are both pretty big guys though.

Be more inclined to do a V8 transplant than a Barra into an EA given the choice. Mate at work regularly gives me cheek about my six cylinder coons. Reckons anything that big needs an 8. He is of course biased as he's on at least his third V8 coon.

You've got a multi point injected one?

Use a long  thin screw driver to flick the clip off  the distributor coming down from the top and twisting the clip.

Take the whole cap and leads out at once, you'll have to wriggle your hand up under the intake to get the coil lead off. It's not fun but you can do it!