Stuck and stranded in rangiora/kaiapoi/christchurch. Help? :(

Moffmo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. Just let ya know I have a camshaft out of a black motor with cam gear on it.

Let me know if you want it. It came from my old Torana Motor which I fully rebuilt.

It will get you back up to Aucks and then you can sort out metal gears. At the same time you change to metal change the cam as well. There are some awesome cams available to suit and I would imagine in a Van you would want a Torque style cam which someone like Franklin Cams could spin up in no time.

Simple as to do (Make sure you keep everything in order and put them back in same place)

Rocker cover off, loosen rockers & remove pushrods, side plates off removed lifters, Oil pump, dizzy out then front pulley & cover and camshaft out taking care not to damage cam bearings. Reverse with other cam.

202 you Torque rockers down about 24lb 

When 6 rocks - torque 1 (from memory, been a while since I had to do this)

when 5 rocks - torque 2

when 4 rocks - torque 3

And opposite of this for the other 3

• Like 1

Thank you all so so much with your help. 

I now have in my possession a camshaft with timing gear.  A crankshaft timing gear and a timing cover gasket. And a wealth of advice! 

I will be at Karl's tommorow to try and sort this out.  Any help will be appreciated and paid for in beers! 

Love you all. 

• Like 3

Only just got the old one off.  The key was buggered.  Luckily Pete came back with a  welder and got it off.  

I'm on my way to pick up a metal gear now.  Just need a mechanic to push it all in and get the timing right to finish it off! 

hey matt!

Hope this all going well my brother.

Assuming you are doing this in place?

Are you replacing the whole cam? or just the gear on the current cam??

If you have pulled the radiator out, please reverse flush it, as that might be part of why this thing runs a bit hot. Worth doing if thats the case.

Please give me a full run down on what your up to at some point!

Also, I hope the misses is in good spirits about the whole thing!

Also, thanks to everyone lending a hand. matts a GC as you all have probably realised

• Like 2

Yeah doing it in place. No way that camshaft is coming out without removing a lot of stuff lol. 

Removed the gear on the camshaft thanks to the South island crew (and three on three and richy!) 

The radiator was proper proper manky inside so Fellixx gave it a good wash out and they gave me some tips with a dishwasher tablet to give it a proper flush. (although places are open now so might get a proper flush done on it) 

Think I may have found a guy that can help me finish it off etc. 

Leanne is pretty depressed about the whole thing. I've told her that if its not sorted by the end of the day that we will just go home lol. She'll be right if we get back on the road though :)

• Like 1

Fuck yeah!

With the new harmonic damper on there it could be well worth checking the ignition timing once it's all back together. 

If it still wants to run hot after a radiator flush, I'd suggest plucking the thermostat. 

That or put a sticker over the temp gauge. Puhuhuhu.

Although TBH I did think that radiator was a little on the small side for a motor that big, which has to lug such a big bit of kit around.