Blizzo's NifDio AF18e powered Nifty 50

BLIZZO

so i wanted an old scooter that was fast, having an old scooter is easy but boring, and having a fast scooter can be fun but not my cup of tea, so i wanted old and fast.

I love the simplicity and styling of the old honda nifty 50s, and they are super light, but also slow as fuck.

So i picked up this actually tidy but sun faded nifty for the pricey sum of $80

15034149_10153896300197466_47417045_o.jp

Was cheap because motor is clagged but that doesnt bother me as its going in the skip anyway.

Than after a visit to Big als i came away with this Dio AF18 motor, apparently a good runner as he pulled it out of the scoot, looks like its been under the sea 

483CEA37-C75D-4F6A-ACD6-B8559400B181.jpg

the conversions for these are actually pretty simple, loom is very straight forward, a wee mod to join the two engine mounts together and then ad another shock mount on the frame of the scoot and presto. The even better thing is the nifty CDI works perfectly with the af18 and unlike to the Dio CDI its unrestricted, so no need for a chinga pinga racing CDI.

I started pulling the dio motor down last night, inside its like brand new, the piston, rings and bore are mint, the genuine honda drivebelt looks like new, no wear on any of the pulleys / belt surfaces and even the rollers are free of flatspots. for now the only mods going on to the motor will be a performance variator and maybe some 9:1 final drive gears, should be good for 70kmph. Ill roll it like that for a while then look at going big all at once, polini corsa 72cc BBK, stage 6 intake, dellorto carb, decent exhaust etc.

A2D4F22D-EFCA-4750-9531-E9B02C1BBBDE.jpg

A2D4F22D-EFCA-4750-9531-E9B02C1BBBDE.jpg

• Like 9

sort on pondered that idea aye but think i have decided ill restore the plastics. I have stripped the body down anyway and will paint the frame / get the dio motor in and going and then have another think about the plastics, would be pretty look looking haggard and doing wheelies

yea nah fuck that why would you make a scooter go fast and then make it handle even more shit than a stock one so you cant go fast. I want this thing for max 2 stroke nangs and adventures, there isnt going to be a stand so it can get max leanover scrapage

• Like 3

Yeah adventure riding over looking cool parked outside kfc .

Gal built a real slammed and raked scooter and it now sits in the corner as a stripped down frame and it continually hit the ground and was slow around the corners while the rest of us burned off. He now rides a stock height bike

• 3 weeks later...

so i spent an evening on this thing last night. Modding the engine mount was far more involved that forums suggest as the engine mount on my donor dio motor was very different and more difficult than the ones all the build threads use. Anyway its all done now, just need to get some long 10mm bolts rather than the 8mm ones the nifty uses.

70C6EA0C-62F5-44E6-9E4A-973708D3D2AB.jpg

next on the agenda was the new top shock mount. I have seen this done a few ways, all which look liek they could lead to imminent death when a fat cunt at 105kg likemyself hits speedbumps at 70kmph so i used two 3mm plates which will have a brace between them, i made 3 shock location holes so i can raise / lower slightly if need be.

C989A02D-D271-4029-9EAA-D0622E07E878.jpg

will get everything welded up and all mocked up then strip it all down again and strip and paint the frame. Going to run haggard plastics for now for max sleeper spec. 

• Like 8

On 1/13/2017 at 15:59, Seedy Al said:

hows the wheel base look with plastics on?

Believe it or not it's only about 10mm more than the old motor, the position of the rear frame is a bit deceiving / looks like that with the stock motor etc 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Nah no photos of mounts soz, I just hacked and welded where needed. Would almost be easier to cut the joining truss bits off and just start with the “tubes” and use some SHS to joint together, wound up being quite offset to make it all line up lush.  

This thing went pretty hard for what it was to be honest , I rode for a bit then flicked on trademe and sold it for $1200 

hoons-

https://youtu.be/mRhrfyozOJw

sale pics-

dfwA4Yq.jpg

Vx5ZDfN.jpg

xyiWfY8.jpg

• Like 3