Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

7 hours ago, Kimjon said:

The brass slip collar on mine exploded after about 20 minutes of total running time. But meh, doesn't feel any different without it and the belts so loose I can't see it wearing it out any quicker without it there.

The Cvt is weird though eh. I didn't think it was a great decision immediately after trialing it, then we raced each other on the drift trikes, it was clearly faster.

I machined the guts of mine so it only just lets go of belt at idle just a bees dick of clearance on front drum, prior it would of had 2-3mm so it took at least 3000rpm to get anything happening. Only issue i have is it sometimes get a bit grabby when you come to a stop think it just needs some grease on spline so everything returns to its resting spot.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasnt missed a beat or broken anything since i fitted the CVT smoothed the engine out nicely and has the top end of a GN250 with a tailwind.

I sold my turbo motor (got Ls1 money for it) so no need for a box now. Quad getting v twin bike motor i scored.

Currently happy nothing to do on it...... it just works now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Revisions! 

The kickstand on this was a freebie from Kimjon thats served me well but was really undersized, at night ive heard it creak as it struggled to hold the engine up.

I whipped this up from one i chopped off Truenotch's mini chopper frame i butchered its solid as fuck! And the scooter doesn't roll down hill when idling on hills (like my driveway)

20201219_174141.jpg

• Like 2

Revision 2 

Fuel tank mount, i had this zip tied in for ages and seeing as the mig was out took 10 minutes to do it properly.

Now to zap in some cable management and re run the -4 fuel line so it has a straight run down right side of frame, currently loops around frame as i was scared to cut it too short.

IMG_19122020_182536_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been punching around on this a reasonable amount recently 

It started to develop a vibration in back end under deceleration not quite sure what was initially as nothing seemed out of place.

Till i let my daughter ride it after she started suffering FOMO after my son bought a dirtbike.

Did i mention she is an absolute animal.... and also found the problem .

20210206_133306.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnnyfive said:

This has to be some kind of child endangerment. 

A+ though

@johnnyfive

Shes a teenager so has the self preservation thing going for her, scooter is really user friendly now controls are simple being a twist and go. Shes decided burnouts and donuts are the most fun though.

And my son can't because his 125 has nobblys so in her mind Shes 1 up on him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taken today off so thought I'd dig into this a bit chains have been running really noisy and i haven't been able to eye ball them very well with it in one piece.

Boom! Many pieces. Ive wanted to flip upside down and check some welds as i built this thing while on morphine after back surgery...... surprisingly only one crack has appeared and its on the engine mount, i only built it to take the 2.5hp motor and the twin has been cantilevered off the back of it so kind of inevitable.

While its off I'll fix the crack and brace it back to the jackshaft mount as thats all 25x3 box section and move the engine forward about 6" to get the chain running in a better orientation and with the cvt.

Then maybe paint it.

IMG_19022021_091418_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_19022021_091406_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

Wow that went swimmingly with no interruptions.

Engine moved probably 150mm in end it just ended in a great spot can service everything the oil filter is no longer fighting for space with back wheel and the carb is no longer fighting it out with my ass.

And the muffler now doesn't extend past the back wheel so it now fits on my trailer again.

IMG_19022021_130306_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

Yeah it is, keeps me out of mischief.

Plan is to bang an aliexpress cafe racer seat on it now (or make something) 

No more standing up on it with this round of mods though, hopefully this has just strengthened it all back up and moved the weight back onto the heavier built structures. It is built like a tank though! 

57 minutes ago, Kimjon said:

This would have been so good!! It was registered too.

Screenshot_20210219-183320_Facebook.thumb.jpg.8fbac5595511525f55831db3315bf39c.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-183156_Facebook.thumb.jpg.4630d3ce52e84c9747da16a88ef2326a.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-183151_Facebook.thumb.jpg.081f135bf74942cd4831e84bd0a4ddc6.jpg

Screenshot_20210219-183140_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a259c0195cdda0db0080b00d55932d84.jpg

I was on that so damn fast and still missed out. Stumbled on the listing messaged immediately but was getting loaded on a trailer.

Be great engine in a GN250 or something as it has so much torque and actually can rev too been the small stroke version. 

Im looking for a bike to commute on might be next logical step if i can find a decent frame, probably not a hartail though as ive already had a L4 L5 spinal fusion done (my custom performance spine) 

This thing will always be around just throw another engine on it'll keep living.

• Like 1

Took this for a really good ride around 25-30 minutes think my stash of E85 has gone stale though as it goes like stink off line and falls on its face around 4000rpm like its fuel starving. Plugs tell a different story as theyre perfect.

Will get drain tank and try some fresh 98 and wind the jet in (SU LIFE!) the carb has enough adjustment to swing through anything i throw in it. 

Small win my mrs who is staunchly anti motorcycle has had a zip around our very quiet subdivision and can absolutely see what all the fuss is about now. And is now ok with my idea of getting a bike to commute to work on (only taken 5 years) 

• Like 1

Found this front mudguard on side of motorway haha its a good fit in forks and over the wheel but theres not a whole lot to mount it too.

Best thing i can come up with is to bolt some flat bar to the guard mounts and hose clamp to the forks..... more i think about the better it gets as easy and will have some give should it suck up a rock.

Will need a guard over back wheel now too as ive got burnt rubber all up the back of my leather jacket and helmet. When engine was further back the back of engine caught it all.

20210228_182128.jpg

My dad all 66 years old of him had his first ride on it this weekend..... from home he headed 3 ks up road to a strip of road thats 3 ks long and dead straight from 3ks away we could hear him going flat out then turn around and do it the other way. 

He hopped of absolutely beaming it really made his day.

• Like 3