Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

Acquired a new 37 tooth sprocket today for the back as the 31 tooth was too tall.

Bodged together all my scraps of chain adjusted up and went for the first proper ride. So so so much better! 60k at 2500rpm it takes off like an absolute rocket from there no slip ,some clutch slip to get going from stationary its doable though wont hurt anything.

Moving the wheel back has added 25kg more over the front wheel too so it brakes like a weapon as well now.

Would actually call it not sketchy anymore even crawling isn't wandery anymore.

Will add a Cvt soon and new chain but its good now to do the milk (almond) and bread run as often as possible. No pics for a change as nothing broke nor did i fall off (or think i would)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Truenotch said:

Haha, it actually sounds like a Harley!

This thing is looking cool now, it’s crazy how far you’ve developed it. Most insane lime scooter ever. 

Yeah its evolved beyond what i ever thought id do with it and to be fair i don't have a lot of money in it but i hate to think how much time.

It feels like it's got as much power as my old triumph Bonneville chopper i built in my 20's Haha.

First time ive actually heard it from somewhere other than on it today since i did the port job on heads and switched to running a bit of ethanol, 

Its pretty barky as soon as it gets some load on it thats for sure!

IMG_06092020_180018_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sparked this up today after pissing around with chain alignment and tension it had this weird harmonic going on when you got to about 40 ks thats gone now.

it could do with a roller on the chain that runs to the jackshaft but seeing as I'll be going CVT fuck it I'll just keep it on tight side.

Anyway tune is good on 50% ethanol mix with taller gearing the SU is way happier plugs are nice and clean.

Went for a 10k ride along a closed stretch of road and used lots of petrol this things effortless though just cruises along and doesn't fuck around for a second when you give it berries! Top speed? Dont know didn't get there just enjoying it not breaking shit and getting pelted by bees and sand flys.

Hard to believe it started as this thing now. Very little remains maybe the throttle cable and some tube, and the battery box, the rest was chopped out and replaced with heavier tube at some point i didn't photograph.

LQI3HpR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right that on the floor needs to go right where my lovely swoopy exhaust is..... might just experiment with new pipes at same time.

CVT Time excitement! off the line punch and top end, up till now ive only been able to have one or the other. And the compromise of the exploding pocket bike wheels or a slipping clutch on take off for top end.

Was on special finally from Motiveparts (nz company) so i decided to finally do it.

The long suffering clutch was only ever rated to 8hp this one is 13hp the guy i bought from assures me it'll take my power easy because its light and gearing is pretty decent.

IMG_22092020_172926_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

It runs but things need shimming the chain isnt quite right either. 

Quickly fashioned pipes look cool but are deafening so will add some muffling.... later maybe a bozusoku sytle supertrapp.

Will get a sack of 8mm washers and make some clearance happen over weekend.

IMG_24092020_180736_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_24092020_180750_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

Shims in chains adjusted up and off for first ride needs a few revs to get going but fuck shes off as soon as the clutch engages not snatchy either which is nice.

Annoyingly the starter solinoid has shat itself and its running a bit shit. And that exhaust is awful sounds like a fart through a trombone.

If weather isnt shit i might try an extend ride out back of nowhere as the carb usually sorts itself out after a few minutes, keen to run the Cvt through its range to see how it behaves at like 80-90 k

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyingbrick said:

Hope ur gearing up with decent pants and gloves etc lol

Hell yes i do i look like a right twat all geared up.

More tuning today had to chuck a tiny sprocket on the back as it was well off from being right, added a tiny pit bike muffler that i bashed bigger holes in and stuffed with stainless pot scouring pads actually sounds ok but is a bit choked is pretty quiet though.

Decent blatt today at area 51 Cvt is the shit bloody love it! Full launch hits 4000rpm and just pulls and pulls till Cvt maxes out then revs take over. So much grip too with proper motorcycle tyres wonder if Hampton downs track cruises are an option.

I'll admit that muffler is around as structural as bean tin and is birdshitted in place. 

Cringed at price but bought one of china's finest supertrapp knockoffs which absolutely has to be the end of this project or the mrs reckons she will castrate me (shes a nurse too so shes capable)

20201006_184017.jpg

• Like 3

Muffler arrived bloody quickly! 

My shitty (but new) pit bike Muffler already burned all the packing out and is starting to deform from heat.

Going to need to add some extra length to pipes  to space the supertrapp away from the engine or it'll be short lived.

Machined these two spacers up for the cvt shorter is to set up as per instructions the other is a trial "low stall" setup to hopefully get it moving with less revs. This engine loves been loaded up and the cvt is intended for things bit more gutless down low so just experimenting.

I managed to blow the outer cover off the driver pulley somehow as well cant figure out how but i was fair hauling when it lost drive and rolled to a stop....... long push back to trailer.

IMG_14102020_132043_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

The brass slip collar on mine exploded after about 20 minutes of total running time. But meh, doesn't feel any different without it and the belts so loose I can't see it wearing it out any quicker without it there.

The Cvt is weird though eh. I didn't think it was a great decision immediately after trialing it, then we raced each other on the drift trikes, it was clearly faster.

On 06/10/2020 at 18:58, Muncie said:

starting to deform from heat.

We moved a few mufflers around on some water blasters and air compressers that used a Chinese copy v twin at my old job

they loved getting all melty if you moved them from where they were being air cooled by the motor fan 

Fitted the supertrapp with what bends and pipe i had left sounds nice and thumpy and not too loud, it pops a bit and spits massive blue flames on deceleration (like a 40cm ring of flame!)

I'll redo the headers in 1 1/2" eventually and move the muffler lower and out of way but for now its usable again.

Low stall mod worked engages drive earlier doesn't seem to have affected the cvt operation changes ratios as it did before.

IMG_14102020_214221_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_14102020_214212_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3