Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

Took this for a blat around back lawn today.

Seat pretty good,

Ported heads holy shit extra good!!

Kill switch.... died. gotta whip both leads off to stop it and its dead wiring at coils which means engine off.

Oh as a side note since doing heads its about 3 times as loud, i think this might be a problem as great as it sounds i cant sneak out on it like this it sounds so gnarley spits flames and sounds like a drag bike. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i finally fixed the lack of a functioning kill switch ive been whipping leads off to kill it for about 8 months.

With the sad rear cylinder it'd die slowly just pulling the front one so i got away with it now its been rebuilt it'll happily chug away with one lead off.

The chain and engine had to come off the mount plate so i could get the cover off the side of engine to access coils.

As i suspected theres diodes in line to separate the coils, the rear diode failed and became more of a resistor partially grounding out through the front coil at idle hence the impression of a bad coil i thought i had. The diode upstream for the front coil had also stopped working too hence i couldn't kill the engine with ground wire it would at best make it idle shit.

15873295883767341794724765297828.jpg

Ive now run 2 cores 1 per coil up to the wiring box under the frame, i found a big diode from a microwave oven in my stash which just goes across the wiring for normal coil separation if i ground one pin it kills the engine,

If i ground the other pin it kills the front cylinder giving me torque management for taking off from a stop. My clutch is pretty bitey so when taking off from anything other than dead straight its a bit dicey this will take care of that.

Now need a momentary button and a latching button to make it work on handle bars. For now though ive got a way of killing the engine as before if anything happens your only option is to jump.

IMG_20042020_090653_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

Soldered the lot together went for a light hoon and had a weird lack of revs available snipped diode out, back to normal.

Have ordered 2 more diodes but at least the wiring is all done, have bunged a generic kill switch on bars for now.

Did quite a lot today pulled all the control cables out re did all the wiring, got the kill switch to go and tidied up the headlight wiring a bit more added some more earths.

Realized frame was bare so whipped out grinder buzzed off all the stray blobs of weld sanded her back and blew a fresh coat of zinc over it.

Left it in sun for an hour then blitzed it with some gun metal grey, weird seeing this all glossy and clean the scars from when i crashed it are gone. 

I think its kind of finished......

20200427_145232.jpg

• Like 2

Fuck it im painting this purple :thumbleft: aliexpress special is on its way.

I have a stash of paint i bought for a car ages ago that i gave up on may as well use it.

Can blow this thing apart in an hour now, all the wiring is on plugs and comes away with the engine or front forks.

@Kimjon you still want to swap fuel tanks?

Screenshot_20200427-185330_AliExpress.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So no photos for this update but a few weeks back i took too the inlet manifold with the die grinder as it was only designed for a 30mm carb, opened that up till there was no more dags or wall thickness:)

Picked Up some new Ngk BP6ES plugs threw those in filled up with E85 and took it for a hoon under cover of darkness (remember those headlights?)

In short goes fucking well power band is now a bit further up so less sketchy getting moving can roll in to a wheely really easy without nearly dying.

Amazingly even with the massive carb and electric pump that could feed a v8 it feels like it is getting starvation eg 50-60ks it goes flat if you back off and then nail it again it zings straight through to 80ks then dies off again. Will see what i can do to help free up the fuel lines as there is a few small areas. Go ped tanks have tiny fuel pickups.

Fuel consumption is pretty up there did 10k ride last night and used a litre.

Oh and back tyre threw a chunk of rubber off where petrol had dripped on it think this time I'll try get a 10" wheel under it seems to be just about enough room under there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Need more seat time to mess around with the tune.

I got it ok ish whole lot of changes in one hit ive not ridden further than end of street since, I ported heads manifold valve grind and changed back to ethanol in one hit and literally wound mixture in and out while riding with one hand.

I should go back through this carb if you've seen my other vtwin build i found a chunk of swarf upstream of jet after float chamber, that carb was the matched pair to this one off my triumph which also did this. 

56 minutes ago, SOHC said:

How you say it goes flat and if you back off and open it up and it’s ok sounds like it’s too rich,

Youve given me something to look into if its rich that'd be great, i did start with the brass jet set as per manual flush with carb body as a start point. On this engine with this carb it'll idle and run fine at this setting but as soon as it sees load it wont even rev enough to fully engage the centrifugal clutch it just wont rev past 2700rpm.

1 turn on mixture and bang 5000rpm small adjustments and it just gets better...... i need a wide band and some data logging and to punch it along a long stretch of road i know. 

IMG_11052020_140254_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_11052020_140230_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

Reason its sitting again is it needs another tyre my old fuel pump dribbled E85 all over it which has caused it to throw a big chunk of tread off.

Im happy enough with engine for now im going to try get a 10" rear wheel under the ass to get rid off the pocket bike wheel s they are only just doing the job.

Might not be the case but When it’s lean it would get super hot and spluttering and bang in the exhaust or if it’s just a bit lean it will get hot and go very well and then seize,  I found when rich in the main jet you would get to a point in the rev range and it would go flat like it had lost spark but you could get past it by opening the trottle slowly 

It certainly popped and banged out exhaust at idle so i gave it 2 full turns on mixture that stopped it. Ive got 2 colour tunes boxed away might bung them in and see what its up too on another night ride.

Anyone got a 10" wheel and tyre with a 420 sprocket? 110cc pit bike seems to be a donor candidate. 

4 hours ago, yetchh said:

I thought a rich condition was popping out the exhaust and a lean condition popping out the carb.. 

I have a slight issue with the carb misbehaving at idle due to the vtwin inlet pulse you can see the damper jumping around its fine once its got a few revs but its something i have to work around. As the mixture goes all over show with jet jumping about.

19 hours ago, yetchh said:

I thought a rich condition was popping out the exhaust and a lean condition popping out the carb.. 

You will get spitting out the carb if the idol mixture is lean, if the governor is connected it tries to jam itself of full throttle on and off like crazy

@SOHC the governor mechanism is still in the engine but the arm is just connected to a spring that's it, it tugs away to its hearts content but isn't part of proceedings anymore. Will get around to removing it soon as i think a cam needs to be next to make the most of heads exhaust and carb. If i can only find a Cam shop that doesn't think im joking. (Trust me ive called around)

Think i need to throw it in a trailer take to Franklin Cams and see if seeing the thing in front of them is proof of how utterly mad and dedicated i am to these engines!...... i also need a mad turbo grind for the other one :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've since drilled and tapped the breather to take a AN4 bulkhead fitting which ive welded a pickup straw to (will trim it down a bit more) will cut down the spout down as well. Has a nice little spot up front end it slots into like it was made for it.

Also cleared back end for a 10" wheel motor will need to slide forward a bit but cant see it been much of an issue.

• Like 2

And long range alchohol safe adventure tank fitted and plumbed! 

Need to trim my fuel line a bit and fit a 90 degree end to it but you get the idea, deck needs a slight trim then can bolt back on. 

Will put some pegs on as well...... one day.

20200702_054241.jpg

• Like 1