Daves Scooter thing (The Meth Ped)

Muncie

Truth be told i haven't ridden this since the above happened. Some aliexpress bits arrived this week so i thought i might as well fit anyway bit of tianium colored header wrap to prevent major jean destruction. 

Im toying with swapping the engines over with my sons mobility scooter beast as he loves this frame and has done some welding on it, he lives on a farm so could legitimately use it safely his 5hp Robin motor would work perfectly i reckon.

I have acquired all the stainless steel parts now to do the turbo as well....... and sussed a cheap and cheerful way to run my carb blow thru for max ethanol spooly flame carnage

20190224_112201.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got to modify my turbo to work the way i want....... so i need to learn to weld alloy below is my learning curve in 4 welds literally never welded alloy with a tig before.

Dude at work set tig up for me gave me some pointers haha then off loaded his days work welding cable trays to me. 

Ive now started amassing AN fittings as we run them on some dangerous applications at work so they get used a few times and binned (still looking mint) and sweet to use on what i want them for.

20190226_161748.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This thing has been a bit of an ornament lately as ive tried to sell it had a few people look at 1 rode it and came back white as a ghost shaking....... he decided his son would be be better on something a bit more shall we say docile.

So on to repairs and fine tuning things, the chains were fucked and since i fitted the new back wheel out of alignment by about 5mm i ripped it all apart and set it all up nicely so the wheel just slips in. This meant spreading the rear frame i just jammed a jack in there and it didnt fight much. 

I had to sort the rear brake caliper as the wheel now been centered and frame spread it had moved everything.

20190311_065421.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Took this thing for few hoons lately its finally running pretty good again ive gone back to roughly a 50:50 mix of ethanol and petrol the carb just couldn't suck enough fuel through on E85 to let it rev out. Ive also stuck the external carb bits through the ultrasonic cleaner at work which rattled out plenty of chunks of shit (mostly lead) 

It now starts runs and revs out nice again. I changed the exhaust a bit to a 1 1/2 slash cut end to help it exhale a bit better which has doubled the noise it makes as well.

20190317_181943.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Got my fancy pants VW toureg turbo cold side housing modified (finally) and amassing more AN fittings for the oil lines. Got to drill a drain into side of block so engine coming off some time soon to be cracked open and the turbo manifold made. 

Does dromegedden have an open class yet?

15643605113591714804087798585486.jpg

• Like 2

The old Huntly east mine access roads now its all cleaned out would make an amazing hill climb. Would take a few minutes to ascend it.

3 hours ago, Kimjon said:

Don't know...but I'd be keen to ride in any class if it's on again.

• Like 3

Finally have this turbo back in one piece and have finished the flanges needed. Ive made up some -4 line for the oil to it and set up a tee from the oil gallery on the engine (yes this engine actually has a pressurized system)

Waiting for some weld on AN fittings to finish the oil lines, then the manifold...... the manifold hmm i have the steam pipe to make a log style but thats so boring. If i hold off a bit i can make it two into 1 out of stainless i just dont think i can wait.

15646291625157696907927806337912.jpg

15646292039732835130636321198164.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got this at work now im 3ks down a private road so its been used to drive between sites by everyone. 

Currently parked in the engineering bay getting attention on my lunch breaks. Going to start on a new inlet manifold as the original one is choking it stopping it from revving out.

The burrs for porting the heads showed up last week as well as the weld on AN fittings for the turbo plumbing.

Finally have a use for this thing and a place to work on it. 

Some photos will come soon.....

• Like 3

Well shit..... did this again blew another rim to bits ive got a permanent fix for this but i might go to a 10 inch rim first same as front.

On the the upside ive got the oil feed and drain 80% done for the turbo just got to weld the AN4 next to the AN6 fitting and thats it then it just needs the exhaust made to get hot gases into it.

20190819_074321.jpg

15661576016316299406835500128061.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnnyfive said:

I love your dedication and perseverance with this thing, but I have one issue. Its one thing to maim and injure yourself on this thing, but was it family and co-workers now in danger now too?

Ive been fucking around with it so long now its been refined if anything its overbraked and cant spin a wheel on anything but gravel because its got so much traction.

The 2 guys at work who have ridden it are motocross riders no way I'd let anyone with no handling skills near riding it.... ever 

What it does well is make heaps of noise and makes going fairly slow a heap of fun standing up your sense of self preservation kicks in pretty early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The engine is the real project on this eventually I'll pluck it off and put it in something else cool for now though I'll keep at it fix what breaks, brush up on my welding and get my head around turbos by building this whole setup from scratch.

I need to figure out electronic ignition for this as well I'd like to use coil on plug for compactness and the decent output they can provide.

Scored a new back rim for this to get it going again. Ive added this support to the drive ears and bearing carrier to take the drive directly to the hub instead of the 3x m5 bolts

its a very snug fit i wont weld it on though so i can get it off to fit to the next wheel after vaporizing this one. It Will get 3x m8 bolts through it to bolt up to the sprocket.

20190821_163247.jpg

• Like 2

Just discovered today that this rim will accept the tyre off a cessna 152 and the width is ok to clear the frame. Will try it and decide if it's worth doing is a pretty big baloony looking thing but would be similar size to front wheel....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1