off road camper inspiration

scooters

I was talking to Wildat this avo after we chased some local youth who were fighting at our local playground. humpfff... I was saying I was going to start brainstorming to build a off road camper. For a build time that is yet to be established. Iv still got to get the injector bench going.

After a quick google I had been threw all the teardrops and found all the "bug out" guys and prepper's but nothing really tickled my pickle. 

But after much looking I forgot to mention I spent 12 years living in ozzy. I now really do think ozzy know how to build off road campers. The journey's go for 1000's if not 10's of thousands of Km's and can go on for years on end. Very hot and sometimes fairly cold. 

So I started looking what was going on over there in the way of builders.... 

I think the best bet is a tow behind camper due to the fact you can dump it and use the vehicle as you need to. No one wants a camper for a daily driver.

anyway I think I found the top of the line: this is what I am going to aspire to. 

It looks like it has been made for military the way the chassis and suspention is built. Sold all over the world and for us poor kiwi's it would be $120K before you blinked. 

Enter the bruderx exp6.   come in at 1600KG before you load it... so it's fairly light I think.

http://bruderx.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7kdsgRWuraLQgYfavXwsKw

It's made from honeycomb panel construction If anyone has any info on how to join corners i'm all ears. 

secondly post up other campers! and other great things you have seen in the off road camper world! The more cool ideas the better.

post-21390-0-37351000-1480834017_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats feaken rad, but I can't help think its too big to really be able to drag anywhere fun, small and nimble would be the way wouldn't it? 1600kg could become 2400kg in quite a hurry.

Since borrowing the teardrop off felixx the missus has been pestering me to build one, i've been looking at making a modular trailer that can take on or off road wheels for hunting trips.

On the practical side, a mate uses a pop top as he reakons it has better vision for reversing in shit places

Thats feaken rad, but I can't help think its too big to really be able to drag anywhere fun, small and nimble would be the way wouldn't it? 1600kg could become 2400kg in quite a hurry.

Since borrowing the teardrop off felixx the missus has been pestering me to build one, i've been looking at making a modular trailer that can take on or off road wheels for hunting trips.

On the practical side, a mate uses a pop top as he reakons it has better vision for reversing in shit places

Oh yea.. shes a big girl... even if it is all composite panels. What got me was that it's total expedition spec and you could live happy in there for weeks/ months if a quake hit 200L water. and black/grey tanks.. you know what I mean. 

2400KG is a drama and the tow vehicle needs to be big. 

A tube chassis makes good sence to me as well.. 

I don't know it's just in the ideas stage. Tandem axels give a advantage but then single has it's place too. I will have two kids before xmas so I was thinking about building a great family camper. 

maybe a slightly shorter single axel would be something to look into... a tear drop with a square back to get max space. ???

hmmm

Yeah, I don't see 1600kg as light. That's a couple hundred kilo heavier than any of my vehicles and then once you load it, etc.

Something fairly simply and light but with large ground clearance and 4WD wheels and tyres could be made for far less weight than that. I'm sure there's a million gadgets in that doofer though which would be neat.

Yeah, I don't see 1600kg as light. That's a couple hundred kilo heavier than any of my vehicles and then once you load it, etc.

Something fairly simply and light but with large ground clearance and 4WD wheels and tyres could be made for far less weight than that. I'm sure there's a million gadgets in that doofer though which would be neat.

I'm torn... it's light for what it is I guess.

But I think without all the creature comforts I can't help but wonder what it would come down to. Remembering most 4x4's will pull 3T now days. 

The construction of the panels and how they join the the corners and eadges is what i'm interested in. ozzy also has a savage dust issue... without that big rear cap might be better for NZ

I don't see the point.

The entire towed member is only as capable as the vehicle towing it. So in order to get the benefit of having such extreme suspension travel/ground clearance/tyres/articulation etc, the tow vehicle would need to be even more capable. And even then, it's off road performance will be severely compromised by having to tow such a larger trailer behind it.

The best idea would be to make one of these:

51c6aadb84b831d9c648d09f583b8316.jpg

Have a 'daily vehicle' that is capable off road and the camper sits on stilts in storage until you want to take it away.

Then just reverse under it, lower it into the bed and you're away. 

• Like 4

I don't see the point.

The entire towed member is only as capable as the vehicle towing it. So in order to get the benefit of having such extreme suspension travel/ground clearance/tyres/articulation etc, the tow vehicle would need to be even more capable. And even then, it's off road performance will be severely compromised by having to tow such a larger trailer behind it.

The best idea would be to make one of these:

Have a 'daily vehicle' that is capable off road and the camper sits on stilts in storage until you want to take it away.

Then just reverse under it, lower it into the bed and you're away. 

I suspect that will be top heavy. ??  

To be fair iv never taken to many offroad trails in NZ. Done plenty in ozzy. But I suspect most of our tracks will be gravel roads. With the odd water splash. 

Most tracks not much longer than a 100K max?

for joining/sealing corners, is there an ali extrusion available that is similar profile to those manky plastic Hardies jointers ??

I'm not sure I am starting to think that angle alloy is being put along the outside corners and the inside gets a nice flash little bit of trim so you don't see the corner. 

I saw a SWEEEET unimog off-road camper last year.

And I think everyone needs to put into perspective what off-road with a trailer actually means- I'd be surprised if anyone would go do a winch challenge course or the kati side of Thompson's with a trailer.

Also..

Value for $$ has gotta be a 4 door safari and just kit out the back with a bed and storage

• Like 1

The disability not to tow a boat is a real pain. It would be cool if you could just B train your nissan patrol with a camper and a boat haha.  :-)

Most of our 4x4 trails are short with longest likely the molesworth... most but You kind of poke your nose down the trail 15 K and your there mostly dirt road.. but the ability to camp at the end of it and not wreck the place is important.

Can't find bugger all trails from a google search so I assume a lot is private land only open to the clubs.

But to be self reliant sleep 4 people and have some form of insulation I think is important. 

There was one of these ecombo campers (NZ Made) next to as at a camp last year.

Seemed pretty sweet as long as you don't mind doing everything except sleeping outside (without the tent extension anyway).

Pricey but.

DSC06189.jpg

/buy a tent/

Sorry this looks terible. I'm sure it's fine but my gosh... it's not my thing.