off road camper inspiration

scooters

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.remotemoto.com/ Is a NZ bike focused site, but will give you a pretty good indication of where you might be able to take your camper.

The latest project Binky episode has Lycra with resin laid over top as a way of extending flares on a mini, the concept could be a cool way of creating a watertight repairable skin for the 'roof'.

Most 4x4 offroad campers that takes boats have a hitch mount setup that sits a tinny ontop of the camper.

As for the suspension. Well when offroading the trailer tends to bounce around more so than the tow vehicle on rutted tracks. So a full on suspension is necessary if you don't want your camper shaking to pieces.

Build an old school bus/motorhome and tow a small zook behind it. Or chuck a few scooters inside the bus for getting around.

• Like 1

http://www.remotemoto.com/ Is a NZ bike focused site, but will give you a pretty good indication of where you might be able to take your camper.

The latest project Binky episode has Lycra with resin laid over top as a way of extending flares on a mini, the concept could be a cool way of creating a watertight repairable skin for the 'roof'.

Cool as struggle for hours for trail info

Most 4x4 offroad campers that takes boats have a hitch mount setup that sits a tinny ontop of the camper.

As for the suspension. Well when offroading the trailer tends to bounce around more so than the tow vehicle on rutted tracks. So a full on suspension is necessary if you don't want your camper shaking to pieces.

Build an old school bus/motorhome and tow a small zook behind it. Or chuck a few scooters inside the bus for getting around.

Yea it's dependant. I'm happy to unhook the camper and go 4x4ing. if there is somewhere cool to drag the camper back to then go and grab it if it's worth it.. most NZ trails are so short. 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-1217632768.htm

537623350.jpg

Weirdly enough when Scott (scooters) first raised this idea a Landcruiser troop carrier was my gut instinct. This is a pop top version of the same. With the reserve pretty much the same as a semi-decent tow vehicle...

I know when I lived in ozzy the troopies were let out to tourists on fraser island.... they just about all got flipped many bad accidents. I have this gut feeling that they are not ment to be stacked with bulk stuff up on the racks. Great wag's though. 

at 600 KG and you would go lighter.... the only word that comes to mind is composite.

seriously a light weight camper... 

Building your own camper is fun , look at how happy felixx is :)

I like the truck above because of the duals , great for stability .

I have sometimes thought that would be a sensible addition to mine , and a front diff ........................ :)

But really ,, I find my off roading is just down some shingle track or grassy paddock so the chunky tread tyres and plenty of ground clearance work just fine .

If you do build , put at the front of the build consideration ..... light , lighter , less is more.

My camper is 610kgs and I would do the next one lighter.

2nr0r42.jpg