kicker

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kicker,

I've been looking at your Beat rebuild, how did the Piston your got work out? 

I thought the beat might have many interchangeable parts with the AF05 powered Scooters from the same era (Elite & DJ1 ect) but need to wait for the service manual to arrive from Japan. 

i have a beat that is getting a bit tired and will need the top end done soon, so would be interested to hear how you went.

thanks for the info so far. 

The piston I sourced had the same dimensions as the original one, no problems so far with it.
I can't remember much of the details now but the engine was a bit unusual compared to the other Hondas of the time, it used the same bore and stroke as the older models but had a 12mm wrist pin like the newer models which made finding a piston a bit trickier.

Here is the one I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50cc-40mm-12mm-Piston-kit-Minarelli-vmoto-Milan-1E40QMB-50cc-scooter-moped-/222189538727?hash=item33bb874da7:m:myxgIVeKjNlcGtQCHw1Imfw&vxp=mtr

If you change the piston, remove the cylinder and the head as one unit, that way you won't need a new head gasket which seem to be almost impossible to find.
In saying that, I do have one spare if you need it, I had a gasket company remake a couple for me and they seem to be pretty good quality.

Thanks for the link and the tip about the head gasket. I found a head gasket on Japan Yahoo that are 0.5mm cooper, not sure how well they would work though. 

do you still have the file/ scan  you sent the gasket place with the dimensions? it would  be handy to have a couple spare. 

if its not much hassle could you  let me know the part number on your starter motor, mine has died and it non original. I'm hoping that the starter off an AF05 engine might fit with out modification. 

I hadn't seen those headgaskets, haven't done much Beat searching on Yahoo lately, they look pretty good. If they were around when I was looking I would have grabbed one of them.
I can dig out the head gasket scan if you want (I think it's on my work computer) but those copper ones might be the go. 0.5mm thinner than the stock one for a bit more compression.
Here's a pic of the starter assembly with part numbers listed

gD7abFI.jpg

On 12/13/2016 at 07:56, Big Value Buddy said:

I saw a matching one of these outside KFC Kilbirnie last night. Same colour and gold wheels. The nature of Wellington means you will ride past this dude on yours and have a joyful moment when you see each other.

On 12/13/2016 at 09:42, kicker said:

I think I saw that dude last night Rich, saw something riding towards me and thought wtf is this pos, lol'd hard when I saw it was the same as my recent proud purchase

Could it be so that sènior @herbamaster is the mystery wellington beater? ....woah. Future joyful POS moment warning.

also, 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkn1DchLIG4wO8o-ZJdCb

Haha maybe if I'm lucky, and my patience holds.   it seems to develop a new "quirk" every time i take it our for a ride at the moment.   

Hey Kicker, Im Curious if your one smokes alot on idle. I have cleaned and adjusted to the carb, and it runs well on the throttle, so starting to think the oil pump is stuck wide open or something. 

cheers,

It does smoke a bit but I am running a light premix along with the pump (just as a precaution as it hadn't been run for 20+ years when I got it.

I'll post up the oil pump specs and adjustment so you can check. There's an alignment mark that it needs to hit when wide open throttle.

Oil pump
Perform throttle cable inspection and adjustment. 
Remove the R, L body cover.
With the throttle grip fully open, it is fine if the alignment 
mark of the oil pump position and the control lever 
are in agreement or within the range of 1 mm on the 
throttle opening side. Start the engine, open the throttle 
grip slightly from the idling state, and confirm that the 
control lever operates almost at the same time as the 
engine speed increases. For adjustment, loosen the 
lock nut of the control cable, and adjust it by turning the 
adjustment nut. Do not adjust the alignment mark of the 
control lever to the closing side of the body alignment 
mark. The discharge amount of the oil decreases and 
adversely affects the engine. Even if it is adjusted to 
about 1 mm to the opening side, there is no hindrance 
to the engine. When the synchronization is bad, the 
following phenomenon appears. When the opening 
degree of the oil pump lever is too large. White smoke 
or start failure · When the opening degree of the oil 
pump lever is small, Piston stop.

• Like 3

On 1/12/2016 at 22:30, kicker said:

After spying a tidy one of these a few months back I have been jonesing to have my own one.

The 80's styling, watercooled 2-stroke and foot operated V-TACS system make for a sweet package.

One of my regular searches turned this one up for a really cheap price so I couldn't resist.

Seller said it has sat in storage for a long time, the latest rego sticker is 1991, done 2098 k's in total and is quite tidy under the filth

syzBg1D.jpg

Chucked a battery on it and the indicators, oil light, brake light and temp gauge work. Power isn't getting to the horn, headlights or starter switch so will check further once I get a diagram.

Engine turns a bit but there is a some resistance so will pull the cylinder and check the piston, rings etc

YebNb02.jpg

Just going to clean it up and try and get it running at this point.

Will take some better pics soon.

Hi Kicker. Just purchased one of these too.They are really cool. Probably the one you have mentioned not sure.I am a bit of a collector of odd scoots and i have the big brothers of this little beauty. A ch250 and 2 cn250,s. The belt set up in my fc50 is all wrong so i would appreciate the part number of the belt in the above picture?You could email me it may be of benefit to catch up!!

The FC50 belt has the part number 23100-GMO-0000, it seems to be a hard one to get hold of. I have been in discussion with another Beat-er about belts and it looks like the Suzuki Address belt might be a good replacement (part # 27601-09E00-000), hopefully I'll have it soon and will update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Potential replacement belt arrived today so I whipped the stock one off to compare.
New belt is 666mm long by 16.8mm wide with 30 degree side angle, looks pretty close, width is spot on.
Will bang it on tomorrow and see how it fits.

oiRdkf9.jpg

ypr7fmo.jpg

aGu2O5q.jpg

• Like 3

I Beat it for a little bit today, had some funny business going on in the tank in that it would seem to run out of gas when still half full.
I had already replaced the fuel tap way back when I first got it running, which was a piss around as it uses a vacuum tap with a M14x1.0 thread which was hard to find. Manual taps were a no go as it is all hidden up behind the sidecover. (Here is the one I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benzinhahn-CPI-Keeway-Generic-ATU-Explorer-Longjia-2Takt-50ccm-Roller-M14X1-/161821009433?hash=item25ad48a619:g:7ZkAAOSwHmhV8HDh)
Anyhoo, when I replaced the tap I couldn't get the filter out so just left it, I finally pulled it out today. It was good and stuck so I had to thead an M8 bolt into it then slide hammer the fucker out and of course it was all varnished up and fuel could only get in through the hole on the very top. The replacement is a bit different but will still work, noice.
eCHGjDb.jpg?2

I don't think I put a picture up of my heater vents installed yet.
HRLPe0m.jpg?2

• Like 7