Kicker's Honda Beat FC50

kicker

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, will give it a go, I'm picking up a stock setup to do some testing with.

I decided to drill some holes in the tranny cover, it gets pretty hot with the water pump sitting in the middle of the belt. Nothing extreme, didn't want it too obvious or open to the elements.

PG8sqTA.jpg

fdAIGCg.jpg

• Like 2

noticed a scoot in watermark signs on thurs, i inquired and it was described as the coolest scooter there is. i guessed beat, which it is. think danny's going to do a respray, and they do stickers for a living/bikes for hobby. maybe you guys can beat dock

• 1 month later...

I pulled the wheels off to clean them up, they had some corrosion and the gold paint was flaking off, the front drum brake and forks also needed cleaning up.
The tyres were removed then they were cleaned, rust treated and sprayed with some gloss black.
Looking good.

m7dyyEZ.jpg

IA5jiEk.jpg

Tyre fun

and my favourite part

• Like 6

At the same time I was looking into fitting a high speed variator, unfortunately the only evidence I could find of a kit to fit the Beat was from a Yahoo Japan blog from 2009 so started looking at what I could adapt. The Beat has a 15mm shaft the Variator sits on which is different to other Honda scoots and seemingly every other manufacturer so since I am running a Suzuki 16.8mm belt I thought I would try a kit for a Suzuki to hopefully keep dimensions as they should be.
A boss was made to suit the Beat shaft and new variator pulley, 2.5mm shim added behind the ramp plate and the pulley chamfered to clear the starter ring gear behind it.
The good news is the scooter still drives but it doesn't rev up as fast as it used to and struggles to accelerate up hills, so question time.
- When I put it back together I put in some heavier rollers (3x 7g + 3x 9g which averages 8g), it had 6x 7.5g in it beforehand. I also have not yet installed the clutch springs that came with the kit. Initial takeoff seems good but then acceleration slows down as speed increases.
Do I need to go back to lighter rollers and do I also need the springs?

Chur

LSisVTg.jpg

52 minutes ago, Nominal said:

You pump well.

You can do it just put your back into it.

One thing I found, if you don't have a compressor to feed air in when you light the accelerant the gases can contract and pull the tyre back off the bead but if you take the valve out it allows it to equalise. B is for better living everyone.

• Like 1

I just changed the rollers to some 6.5g ones I had, it takes off really well now and will go off the clock (clock ends at 60), so I need to find a nice long flat bit of road to see where it'll top out.

Only thing I don't like is that it struggles to build revs on hills now. If I take off from a standstill it's all good as the rpms stay around 7-8000 which allows the scoot to accelerate but if it isn't in that range when you hit the hill it'll build to about 6000rpm then stay there which leaves you going about 30kph. Any ideas? 

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another couple were on there for 2-3 months at less than a grand and didn't sell. Nuts this small bike market I tell ya. Earlier in the year a Chaly went for $3000 on trademe. Next day I got one for $250. Up and dowwwwwn like a seesaw. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have also peeled off all the decals recently, a couple were a bit tatty so took em off, it could do with a repaint too but cbf

NKCywxe.jpg

I have shelved my high speed variator testing for the moment, it struggles too much up hills so have chucked the stocker back in as I want to be able to ride it. It hauled on the flat but would struggle to get past 30kph uphill, had 6.5g rollers in it and an unknown red contra spring, maybe a stiffer spring would help hold it in a lower gear ratio for longer and maybe some lighter rollers?

O71HzjE.jpg

You can see my sweet grinder and wrist-lathe work so it would clear the starter ring gear :)

• 4 weeks later...