Matt's 1969? 50 series crown ute

rxtoy

1 hour ago, oldmatedan said:

True that's grouse

It seems there more common over there 

There's always stuff on gumtree etc 

Or is that just an illusion?

They are more common, but Aussie is a big place. Finding decent parts cars for a decent price that aren't on the wrong side of the country is a lot harder than it was 5-10 years ago

• 10 months later...

i think personally you would be better off buying yourself a small blasting cabinet and doing stuff yourself.

but this depends on what budget you are working with also

it would also be good to use a stripper disc on the chassis and other bits as i have found wire wheels are not super abrasive

just some info you properly already know 

but yeah super cool ute and looking forward to progress  

before you spend too much time and effort on that front suspension id check what parts you can get for it.

last time i looked 50 series ball joints, tie rods, idler arms and basically everything that needs replacing is NLA.

60-110 is all the same and still available. 60 series arms etc bolt on, the only issue is the drag link is wider. im running a 60 series drag link in my 51 and its fine. the bump steer only kicks in at the extreme ends of the up and down travel. 

I’ve got ball joints already, idler arm and outer tie rods (same as 112) are readily available via eBay, inners are the only hard to get part and at worst I’ll mod my drag link to suit 80 series inners. Ball joint on the pitman arm is the only thing I may have to get rebuilt. 

Budget is fairly low, I have other mistresses which demand their share of time and funds (TA22, RS41, AUSSIEGIRL01 etc), plus I have zero room for a blast cabinet. I’ll see how the front clip comes up, wire wheel seems to be getting all the loose stuff off which is all that is recommended for the paint I’m using. I’ve used it before with good results but not on something that sees as hard a time as the chassis

cheers

Matt

• Like 1