Water / Methanol Injection. Anyone using using this set up ?

R100

We are about to fit the below system to a vehicle at work.

It all looks pretty straight forward to install but i need information on where to mount the injector.

Hoping maybe someone has had experience with this kit or something similar.

Engine is a Toyota 1UZ with a non intercooler TBS Billet Supercharger.

ECU is a megasquirt. Fuel injectors are in there factory locations.

Should the Water / Methanol Injector be installed in front of the throttle body, between the throttle and blower or after the blower?

Initial thoughts were to mount the injector between the throttle and blower but i have also seen where its been mounted in front of the throttle body.

avm-30-3300_xl.jpg

will the blower cope with the "wet" system? personally I'd put it post blower to reduce likelihood of pooling, have had issues with EFI pre blower on a mates supercharged MK1 cortina (where does the vent plate send yor water meth in the event of a backfire?)

i think these days you just run E85 instead of regular 98 plus WMI. You get your cooling, octane and extra oxygen all in one hit.  (so long as you have upsized your injectors.) and big(sh) injectors have got cheap - genuine for GT500 ford injectors for less than $200NZd second hand or under $400 new. (no idea if this is in the size range you need just an example)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gt500-injectors

something to consider / slightly off topic

Generally in this type of setup you are only wanting the cooling of the air charge from the water/meth rather than a heap of gain from igniting the meth. 

For this reason I imagine it would be best to go post-blower as the temperature difference would be the highest and you'll be able to efficiently use the changing of energy released from the change of phase of the meth for cooling.

As soon after the blower as possible I'd say to give it the most amount of time to cool before reaching the combustion chamber, although might be worth considering/researching what happens in the event of a backfire - would be not ideal to create a combustion event inside a hot supercharger!

Everything is always better on meth? hmm not sure

will the blower cope with the "wet" system? personally I'd put it post blower to reduce likelihood of pooling, have had issues with EFI pre blower on a mates supercharged MK1 cortina (where does the vent plate send yor water meth in the event of a backfire?)

i think these days you just run E85 instead of regular 98 plus WMI. You get your cooling, octane and extra oxygen all in one hit.  (so long as you have upsized your injectors.) and big(sh) injectors have got cheap - genuine for GT500 ford injectors for less than $200NZd second hand or under $400 new. (no idea if this is in the size range you need just an example)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gt500-injectors

something to consider / slightly off topic

At this stage i can only assume the blower will be ok with the "wet" system. It is a GM671 styled blower that normally sits on top of smelly old chevs with 4 barell carbys sitting on top.

The idea for the Meth/water set up was to cool the intake charge to avoid any possible detonation problems. 

In the past when i have worked on blower set ups ive always seen or installed a backfire plate.

Im unsure if one will be needed on this job ?  (will probably fit one anyway "just encase") 

There will be no fuel running through the blower, just air.

The 1UZ injectors are being replaced with a set of 8 x 440cc RX8 Denso Injectors.

Im told to run a 50/50 mix of meth/water.

With this in mind im guessing it would be flammable ?  Like you couldn't "lite" the mixture ?

If running the meth/water injector post blower would any pooling even occur ?

Generally in this type of setup you are only wanting the cooling of the air charge from the water/meth rather than a heap of gain from igniting the meth. 

For this reason I imagine it would be best to go post-blower as the temperature difference would be the highest and you'll be able to efficiently use the changing of energy released from the change of phase of the meth for cooling.

As soon after the blower as possible I'd say to give it the most amount of time to cool before reaching the combustion chamber, although might be worth considering/researching what happens in the event of a backfire - would be not ideal to create a combustion event inside a hot supercharger!

Everything is always better on meth? hmm not sure

Good points there. Unfortunately the intake manifold is very limited in regards to space where the meth/water injector could disperse the vapour effectively. Unless it was directed up towards the blower (need to post pics of intake manifold)

The manifold is a cut down standard 1UZ (upper-part) with a 25mm thick plate welded to it.  Not alot of volume inside it.

At this stage i can only assume the blower will be ok with the "wet" system. It is a GM671 styled blower that normally sits on top of smelly old chevs with 4 barell carbys sitting on top.

The idea for the Meth/water set up was to cool the intake charge to avoid any possible detonation problems.

In the past when i have worked on blower set ups ive always seen or installed a backfire plate.

Im unsure if one will be needed on this job ? (will probably fit one anyway "just encase")

There will be no fuel running through the blower, just air.

The 1UZ injectors are being replaced with a set of 8 x 440cc RX8 Denso Injectors.

Im told to run a 50/50 mix of meth/water.

With this in mind im guessing it would be flammable ? Like you couldn't "lite" the mixture ?

If running the meth/water injector post blower would any pooling even occur ?

Put it between the throttle and blower. The liquid going through the lobes helps cool them, and also takes up a bit of the clearance between the lobes and the housing resulting in more flow and less heat.

A backfire plate is a good idea, any backfire will only be short lived as you won't be injecting a huge amount of methanol. Plus I take it you will have the injector stop as soon as you shut the throttle, so when it goes bang and you shit, you will also shut the throttle and it's all good.

• Like 2

Some late-war gear used this, but typically for short periods of time - You have to remember that if an engine lasted more than 100hrs of service, it was a miracle.

Also, it was used to stop detonation or at least delay it so that a few more pounds of boost could be squeezed in and consequently provide more power for usually no more than the initial take-off roll and a maximum of 5 minutes.