Tortron's 3.8 Mayte fair dinkum Mitsi Ute

Threeonthetree

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rang around NZ and could get just a stainless disk, with no divot or rolled edge made up for the price of a "proper" one off eBay. So I ordered a 5" and a 9" with backing pad. It seemed the cheapest, slightly less than ordering direct even.

If you have access to stainless offcuts or grandma's pots and pans you could make one, I don't need everything in my life to be a project so it was worth the money (for what's just a disk of steel).

I have only had a 30 min hoon. I don't think they are a magic fix, but have their place along side a hammer and dolly. In my case the roof will cave in if I put any weight on it. And holding a grinder above my head in the cab isn't a good time. I probably should have gotten the DVD too. But from what I see I need to beat the crown up higher than it needs to be, then shrink it back down. It would be nice to try it on a less buggered panel, but it does heat the steel up and then it shrinks down. Just like a stud gun or torch but less room for disaster, and you can then hammer and dolly any tight bits back out.

Borrow it if you want. Il put in a few hours next week and then I'm probably not using it for a few months

• Like 1

Mate of minethats a old school panel beater has a gun like thing that has a carbon  rod and uses that to heat small spots to shrink them but tends tomake the spot quite hard ( iguess it tends to add carbon to the steel) worked well on mynose cone that was a bit streched in the front 

• Like 1

I've got a stupid old Castrol oil can in my garage. It goes ting or tong all through the day, especially when you are least expecting it and are focused on a task. Scares the shit out of me.

Never knew that the springing was actually called oil canning though.

looked a bit at the wiring today

oil pressure switch looks to be dead, but also, the oil pressure circuit doesn't function when the handbrake light circuit is connected.

bit of a head scratcher. they both share the same 12v bus on the instrument cluster pcb, and if i probe the cluster plugs at each of their wires there is continuity between them.

might just scrap the warning light when i put my gauge in tbh

• Like 1

On 28/01/2018 at 18:02, tortron said:

I wire brushed it then blew durapox 2k over it

I'm "inbetween jobs" right now, so have plenty of time to sit in the shed. Need a big fan tho, might Nick the radiator fan and battery off the minor

Ahh I was going to ask you about how you were finding the time.