Sign in to follow this  
tortron

Tortrons's 1981 Mitsi L200 Clubsport

IiVHEv6.jpg

Cut and shut the two clusters together. The black surround will need some finishing sanding where I've cut the original sections out, and repaint.

The two sections are currently curing where i have bogged up the gaps. Now to start making an entire new instrument loom and order some small led's for warning lamps

• Like 8

whizzbanged a couple of brackets up out of half an engine stand

KIRuDG1.jpg

a slot so I can get a spanner on the nut on the bumper bracket, and a dusting of satin black

OY8U8J4.jpg

Sit at about the height of the towing eyes so a good height I think

don't have any decent wire around so might do that next week....

Got some more parts

Roobars and a long range tank to turn this into a true Aussie battler.

Bars are off an 83 4wd, and Ive just noticed they are not going to fit because I have the bumper with only 1 set of holes in it, and I'm not going to cut holes in it, so will need to cut it up and make something work.* Scratch that I looked again and they appear to mount to the towing eyes. Which is weird I thought. It also has a mount for an A frame on it that I won't need because a holden 6 will run forever)it's an auto. So that can go. Side bars should fit fine.

Also from the 4wd I got the fuel tank which is 18 usgallon vs the 2wd 15. So should get about 100km more from it.

Speaking of. I changed the thermostat and now it's actually getting to temp. Sits at half to the next mark depending on driving conditions (2 marks from red, 3 from cold) which seems high compared to what every Holden owner says they sit at (fans on at 1/4 to halfway) but maybe it's a NZ market thing. It won't go past that mark if I hoon up the Bombay's or leave it at idle with the fan on. Will see how it goes as the weather warms up. I'm using 1L less per 100km so that's a good thing.

Also got a nos heavy vinyl floor covering without any shifter hole in it, so probably aftermarket. Should be ideal

• Like 2

I had hoped to get this on for burgers tonight

ahWSBMB.jpg

No dice

Have to remove fog and spotlights. Spots can go on the bars as there's already mounts and Il put a stainless coach bolt in the hole in the bumper. And Il have to weld on some mounts for the spotlights. No major there

I will need longer cab mount bolts as they will be too short, and it's not going on with the 2nd gen tray as even with the kick in it hits it. 2nd gen tray evidently is lower to the ground/just look at the body lines and you will see.

Otherwise it will just need a little tweaking, it's had a rough 4wd life and I can see at least one repair weld. I also feel that the cab mounts were attached to the truck and then welded to the bars to fit each truck.

Nevermind, I have it tied on the tray.. its way too big, but Il get it home to the shed and stick it in the corner with the rest of the junk

So iv had a week off, but have sat inside bored out of my mind because I did a half assed job at removing my fingers last weekend

Sun came out and I can sort of use the hand as long as I don't reach for anything or lift with the thumb

so this was pretty difficult

IXSplQ5.jpg

removed seats

YQyKOrL.jpg

not as bad as it could be

Front corners and back of cab are all rough patches

71h20J7.jpg

New floor covering I picked up. not sure who made it it was just wrapped in a plastic sack with L200 80-85 single cab written on it. No cut out for the shifter so probably aftermarket

Htf5ARS.jpg

bit of sound deadening on the back

MF9XLQz.jpg

Its a poor fit tbh, theres no cut out for the steering column, yet the edge is all bound and it doesn't like the corners.

PJ0dnct.jpg

I stuck it roughly where I thought it should go and screwed all the edges down, cut the shifter hole, the went at it with the heat gun and blocks of wood to contour the sills. It needs a lot more of that action but it fits in now.

Vacuumed off the speaker box material that was in the back and put the seats back in. The loom from the tunnel is too short to go up behind the carpet and underneath so I had to de pin a plug and run it over the top for now. so bad,

Qlxh9p6.jpg

also fixed the folding forward passenger seat so it locks back in place

ADEQUATE

• Like 5

I hate the mess under my bonnet, it causes me anxiety and electrical nightmares. Have gathered the nervous systems from a couple of dead commodores and am thinking of the best way to redo it.

Anyway, that brings me to the air horn, I don't care for these smaller air horns, the red is grating, it's pointing the wrong way, there's a million miles of wire wrapping around both sides of the truck to reach it, they hacked a bracket to install it, and Im kind of keen on getting the bay looking factory with minimal loom showing

IMG_20171007_145710094.jpg

GlADiwS.jpg

Il remove that hacked bracket, welding up all the unused holes and I might shift the engine loom to the LHD position as seen in red

• Like 2

Weld in inner layer

Add second drip rail layer

Weld drip rail moulding back onto it

Better than a bought one eh

IMG_20171015_161915.jpg

IMG_20171015_161934.jpg

IMG_20171015_161959.jpg

• Like 1

Goob some anti corrosion primer on

IV got some more rust down at the front of the sill, so once I've done that Il spray it full of blackguard and cavity wax

Should look as good as any other part of the truck once I smooth the inner rail out with seam sealer

XGW4SeW.jpg

• Like 5