Discussion thread, Kieran EbbettNZ 1974 Triumph 2 5 Pi and 76/77 TC/S

KieranEbbettNZ

• 3 weeks later...

did you pull the big end caps off and have a look? they all scoured to shit? just trying to thing if bearings could be done in-situ, probably a prick of a job like that though. Whip the motor out, whip the crank out, take crank to a machinists and it might need re facing on the bearing surfaces if its bad. then get your bearings (if they dont touch the crank it will be std bearings if it gets machined it will need oversize) and bang em in and torque it up. It would be a sensible idea to do your rear main seal while engine is out as its an easy job and i would also check your crank for end float when you put it back in and potentially get some oversized thrust washers. make sure you have a spin on adapter with a correct filter on it that has the anti drain back valve thingy. Neither of my triumph engines have knocked on start-up so if they are there is something going on.

Yeah. Pulled a bigend and a main off. And both were worn. Ideally it'd make sense to spruse up the head and new rings as well.

I'll see what a compression test does though and ill take it from there. As UT needs a new clutch I would have done the seal like you did Blake. I'm putting a better rack that doesn't leak in with new tie rods and stuff. So money will be spent whichever way I go about it. I've been in contact with Motor machinists in Palmy and they're getting some quotes for me. I could find a spare Tc crank and just do the shells but why do a half assed job?

thats odd for the mains to be shot also, some muppet has probs not serviced it for a million years or ran it super duper low on oil or something. Yea would make sense to give the head a spruce up while you are at it. Motor Mac's are GCs, gerard there does all my work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...