Nissan Terrano turbo noise

anglia4

My 3.2 turbo diesel Terrano has started making a pretty weird noise intermittently.

The noise is coming from the turbo area and happens when the turbo spoils up but not all the time.

It's kind of a "pssshhhhhhhhh" noise... it's not catastrophically loud, but a bit louder than the normal turbo whistle.

Sometimes if it does it I can get out of the throttle for a second and when I pick it up again it doesn't happen. Today it did it for quite a while though, I was going up a long hill and it wouldn't go away, seemed to be down on power too. But then once I crested the hill and could get right off the gas it went away.

This is the only turbo vehicle I've owned so have never played with one and don't know all the ins and outs.

Any ideas what it might be? I wondered if the wastegate might be sticking, but can't explain how that would make noise. Do they have some kind of bearing in them that might be picking up?

What things could I check? Whip the inlet off and see if there is any play in it?

Cheers

Soapy water on the pipework and someone to stand on the brakes while giving it a bit of gas should load it up enough to make boost and blow bubbles if its a leak. Stand off to the side though and aim the car away from anything ;) my 300zx used to hiss under boost was a poked factory blow off valve.

• Like 1

Yeah I did think boost leak too, just weird that it only happens sometimes.

Had a look under the hood before and there is some evidence of something escaping from the piping so I'll have a nudge at tightening it or doing the soapy water trick

• 1 month later...

Im no expert but might be a good time to remove some stuff like the intercooler to give it a good cleanout too.

And as above look into getting a couple of new hoses.

I had a clip come undone on the air cleaner box (TD27T D21) and that sounded like shit was gonna hit the fan. Its always good to find the source of scary noises and find they are not terminal.

• Like 1

Yeah I've been thinking off pulling the intake to bits for a clean & de carbon.

I thought the hose might be a bit sad after that too, have tightened and cleaned it for now and will inspect after a bit of driving to see if it's been leaking.

There was also a clip undone on the air box, they were all loose so I've tweaked them with pliers to get them to hold better

• Like 1