Thrust block in a differential?

RUNAMUCK

So I've been fucking with a diff.
swapped in a head from a cedric into a 620 housing. going from a 4.8, to a 3.9. 

The old head (which I have no idea where I put) had what I now know to be called a thrust block in the centre between the side gears. 

Seems the ends of the axle rub against this block, as part of the axle bearing free play adjustment. (Wheel bearings are cup and cone arrangement)

So know I either gotta find on and try fit it to my center, or make one, and fit it. 

I guess my question is, is this system very common? Seems a bit mickey mouse to me.

Not common unless a semi floating axle.

Replace the bearings with a roller type and you won't need the block.

Probably be easier and cheaper than getting a block made up, I imagine the tolerances will be a pain to work out.

Yeah, its common in Courier/Mazda diffs. The end of the axle butts up to the block and the gap/slack (I never understood how it all worked) was sorted out using shims. A cunt of an idea if you want to narrow one of them. The courier is every bit as nuggety as a Hilux but its got this cunt axle preload setup going on which makes them not as popular for narrowing. . 

• Like 1

H190, H230, or C200?

I was wondering about if an lsd would have something in the center for the axles to butt up against?

I'm happy the H190 is strong enough. But the P.I.T.A. factor is high.

If I hadn't just had my housing powder coated I'd be saying fuck it and shortening up a 260C diff instead.