remove rust using molasses

eureka

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just use phosphoric acid, or for more gentle use citric acid. The molasis has acid in it from bacteria that eat the sugar, it's like the messiest way to do a acid dip ever? It's nice and gentle but so is citric acid and you can make 1000l for about $80, not sure if molasis is that economical?

Said it before but no hardened steel should be soaked in acids for long periods so depends what parts are stuck Hemi.

• Like 1

Yep, there are several ways to skin a cat. This was merely an example of how Molasses works all by itself. This might be considered messy if you are a poof and don't want to dirty your delicate hands but I wouldn't put my hands in a tub of phosphoric acid when by bracket falls off the wire ? No offense intended Spencer. I got my Molasses free from our Office Lady at work to trial its use, the drum was a freebie also. I'm up $80-00 woohoo !

• Like 4

Yea all good man just pointing out whats going on here so its all clear,  letting guys know they can set up citric acid which is the same thing without the goop. Working with acid is safe and easy, phosphoric use in smaller buckets and parts you want clean fast, it will clean shitty bolts and parts in a few hours, its not cost effective to do on large scale. Citric in a 1000l tub you could jump in its very mild, takes 1-2 days to clean parts lasts for months and months just clean the mould off and/or chuck in some bleach

Yes, that is right too. The Molasses will at least etch a machined surface. I was at Kumeu a few years ago when someone was selling Evaporust. They had a Flattie block half submerged that would come out to show the results. It too you can handle short term minus gloves but ?? I got sucked in to buying a 20 litre. My results have definitely varied from good to shit. Good on light rust but shit on heavier rust. I have a Villiers 2 stroke that I pulled out of 44 gallon drum rusted pretty good in the bore. I have tried most brews ( ATF/acetone, CRC, Diesel, petrol/oil, brake fluid, Evaporust, Molasses, Coke and heating the barrel and cooling with and without fluid) with no luck yet on getting it to budge. For me so far, I like the Molasses, I'm in no hurry as such so it can chomp away as it does. Might try the citric on my Villiers though ?

• Like 1

Cast will turn to dust in acid, hardened steel it can crack it from the hydrogen embrittlement? I don't know the term/science. Anyway a spring or a hard bolt will go black and if you leave them long enough go brittle & weird. Panel steel just pickles and pits a little generally when left too long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i decided to try white vinegar on some rusty floors.

I soaked a towel in the stuff and left it to sit overnight.

Extremely impressive.. it seems to have even softened the primer that was on there and given me bright bare silver steel.

So I am now buying some glycerin and Xanthan gum as apparently that should thicken the vinegar and make it sticky enough to sit on a surface by itself overnight (i found a story on making vinegar based toilet cleaner)

Pics of results to follow