Ted Huang's Starorion - 0R10N's 1988 Mitsuhishi Starion

xsspeed

Tight ride. Extra creds for maintaining the stock stuff, especially radiator. I have no such patience! Reminds me of the 1st Starion I got, 3 Starions ago, was white and looked super crisp in the bright sun. Yours looks like it rolled out of a time machine.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no stock shrouds, I've noticed that on a lot of '80s cars with electric fans. Pretty much everything I own has at least one fan with a housing that sort of acts like a shroud to draw air through but doesn't cover the entire radiator.

The A/C condenser does have a foam strip along its edges to seal the gaps around it though.

Similarly, the second fan only comes on when the A/C is going, which again seems to be a standard '80s design. It's got its own trigger circuit and wiring.

Interdasting... I'd never heard of Tridon products being decidedly flaky before. Now you guys have me all worried about the Tridon sensors I had to buy for my Skyline because genuine ones are NLA.

Speaking of genuine, nope I don't have a contact for genuine Mitsi but I'm sure I'd make a great return customer :)

Tori, yup there is a small difference in core size even though the tanks are the same dimensions - Starion one is slightly wider.

Oh, and as for wiring both cooling fans to come on at the same time - it's possible that they both come on by design. Unfortunately the A/C fan isn't plugged in, because as I already mentioned the plug on the fan doesn't match the plug on the wiring loom.

I wouldn't be concerned about sensors etc.

I've had a couple of pooey experiences with their thermostats (running one in my LR though so take that with a grain of salt) and their hose clamps have got really shit in the last 12 months.

just keep an eye on it etc I guess, which you will be vigilantly anyways!

• Like 2

Ha, this is true.

May not be out of the woods just yet though, temp needle went to about 3/4 of the way up the gauge yesterday in traffic, didn't help that it was also a stinkingly warm day.

Browsing Yahoo Japan for a suitable aftermarket water temp gauge to install, I agree with all the conjecture so far that it'll be a far more accurate measure of coolant temperature than a factory gauge with no real units of scale on it, but haven't had a chance to adapt anything until now.

Maybe the A/C fan is also meant to come on for that extra little bit of air circulation? I should really investigate this weekend. If you have a bit of spare loom with a plug Ranter I'd be keen to see what it looks like.

• Like 1